TS2012 and Wave shield ground question

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jbpm

TS2012 and Wave shield ground question

Post by jbpm »

I recently put together your magnificent wave shield. The shield works great and I'm using it with a single external speaker. To give the speaker more oomph I'm using your TS2012 amp. The amp in junction with the wave shield is all working great. My question is regarding where the ground should come from. I'm powering the arduino with a 6AA battery holder, and I'm powering the TS2012 with a separate 4AA battery holder. According to the TS2012 tutorial, the R- and L- should be fed ground. Should that ground come from the TS2012 battery supply? Or should it come from a ground pin off the arduino? I tried using the ground from the TS2012 power supply, but it made the speaker static-y. When I use the ground from the arduino, it seems to work fine, but want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong or jepardizing the amp or arduino. To be honest, I get a little confused about what ground is.

Franklin97355

Re: TS2012 and Wave shield ground question

Post by Franklin97355 »

In most circuits the grounds are tied together to allow for a return path for signals. Not having looked at the schematics I would say it would not hurt to tie the grounds together between the shield/micro and the amp.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”