Neopixel rfduino lipo recomendations

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
richoncode

Neopixel rfduino lipo recomendations

Post by richoncode »

I'm working to prototype then build a very small BLE controlled NeoPixel project powered by LiPo.

I'm still reading trough many posts of projects using various iterations of boosting and adapting voltages and found various contradicting threads.

I'm curious if anyone has this working well. What parts were used? How well did it work across the full LiPo discharge range?

Thank you for your advice.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Neopixel rfduino lipo recomendations

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

While I don't have any specific component advice, LiPos work pretty well with boost circuits. Their voltage stays between 3.7v and 3.2v until they're almost entirely discharged.

There are plenty of boost controllers out there, but step-up converters will always be more complicated and less efficient than step-down converters. If your requirements allow it, you might look at using a pair of LiPos in series and dropping the voltage to 5v. You can get parts to do that for 50c.

wdickenson

Re: Neopixel rfduino lipo recomendations

Post by wdickenson »

I built a set of pond lights powered by LiPo and solar charger and I found that I had no appreciable degradation over the capacity. The NeoPixels sure didnt notice. My LDR took some adjustments but that was so small as to be a non factor. And the trinket was very happy until it dropped to almost nothing,

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”