More flash and sram for ProMini board

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RobMillenaar

More flash and sram for ProMini board

Post by RobMillenaar »

Besides Mega 2560 boards I have been using the 5V/16MHz 328 Pro Mini boards that are readily available. But my latest project based on the latter is struggling with the limited amount of flash (32k) and sram (2kB). I'm thinking of designing a Pro Mini pin-compatible board but with a bigger chip, something like the ATmega644. Does anyone know whether this has been done before? Is such a thing already available? Can I just drop in the standard 328 bootloader firmware or do I have to go in and chance the code (I guess that will be required)?
Thanks for your input, Rob

adafruit_support_mike

Re: More flash and sram for ProMini board

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Take a look at the ATmega2560 datasheet.. the microcontroller has a feature that allows it to use an external memory bus with up to 64k of additional RAM.

RobMillenaar

Post by RobMillenaar »

Thanks Mike,
I don't really want to use the 2560, which takes up too much space, but a controller bigger than the 328 which still has about 40 pins (like the 644). Has this been done before? Remember that I'm aiming for a drop-in replacement for the Arduino Pro Mini module with more flash and sram but not necessarily with more I/O.
Any suggestions?
Rob

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't know of any existing boards using other members of the ATmega family.

You could move over to a Teensy-3.1. It's an ARM processor, so the clock is faster and it has a lot more memory, but Paul Stoffregen (the mind behind the platform) does a lot of work to keep it in sync with the Arduino environment and Adafruit libraries.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”