VC0706 camera works in Windows but not Linux

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Freiberg

VC0706 camera works in Windows but not Linux

Post by Freiberg »

I installed Arduino on a Windows 7 machine and a Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) machine, downloaded Adafruit-VC0706-Serial-Camera-Library-master to both, and ran Snapshot from the examples folder. They use the same libraries and run the same code, and I've confirmed with an oscilloscope that the Arduino transmits the same signal to the camera and receives the same signal from the camera in both cases, but while the Windows machine can read the camera and take the picture successfully, the Linux machine returns "No camera found?" on the serial monitor. The only thing I can think of is that I have to run Arduino in sudo on the Linux machine in order for it to see the tty serial ports, but I don't know why that would affect it.

This is my first time posting on the forums so I'm not sure what else to say - if there are any other details you need, please let me know. Thanks for all your help on other topics in this forum, by the way - they've been extremely helpful. :-)

Franklin97355

Re: VC0706 camera works in Windows but not Linux

Post by Franklin97355 »

the Linux machine returns "No camera found?" on the serial monitor.
That's no good.I'll see if anyone has an idea. Linux is way more picky about permissions both for who is running the program and also for what apps have permissions to programs and files. You may have to change some permissions on files and directories.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Thats...unusual. Not sure what it could be if its truly the same code. There's slight differences in the GCC version for linux/windows, that could be part of it?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try compiling and uploading to the Arduino in windows and then connect to the linux box and see what you get in a serial terminal.

Freiberg

Post by Freiberg »

franklin97355 wrote:Try compiling and uploading to the Arduino in windows and then connect to the linux box and see what you get in a serial terminal.
Oddly enough, that works perfectly - it takes the picture successfully and the serial monitor registers it correctly.
adafruit2 wrote:Thats...unusual. Not sure what it could be if its truly the same code. There's slight differences in the GCC version for linux/windows, that could be part of it?
It should be the same code since I downloaded the zip files from the same place (and can't change the example code even if I wanted to), but I'll copy over the zip file from the Windows machine to the Linux machine and see if that makes a difference. What's the GCC?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

What's the GCC?
Gnu Compiler Collection. It's the c compiler in linux. Used by the Arduino IDE to compile the sketch.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”