having trouble installing the gemma support for the Arduino

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Izmuntil

having trouble installing the gemma support for the Arduino

Post by Izmuntil »

i am following this tutorial (https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide) to the letter, ive re installed the IDE twice to no avail.
i keep getting a "avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)". i know that this problem is listed in the tutorial itself, but again ive been following everything and nothing has worked.
strange enough, the gemma board is already available when i DL the IDE under "the fast way", and they are at the bottom. not the top like in the photo

- i DL the IDE and put it on my desktop.
- i DL the trinkethardware thing and put it into the Arduino folder in My Documents ("sketchbook folder")
- i found the old avrdude.conf and changed it to avrdude.bak (there is also a file called avrdude.old, nothing changed when i kept it or deleted it)
- i DL the new avrdude.conf into /hardware/tools/avr/etc folder just as it says (same place)
- i find avr-Id and DELETE it, then i DL the new one and put it in its place (i've tried keeping both of them in the same folder and its done nothing)
- i am on the gemma 8mHz board and the USBtinyISP programmer
-red light is blinking BEFORE i click upload

and thats it, im not sure what is going on, ive tried following the instructions many times but nothing seems to be working

adafruit_support_rick

Re: having trouble installing the gemma support for the Ardu

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The error you are seeing has nothing to do with the IDE installation. The Gemma should appear to your computer as a USBtinyISP device, but your computer is not seeing that device.

There are a few possible causes of this problem. First, if you are using Windows, you may not have installed the USBtinyISP driver correctly. Mac and Linux do not require drivers.

The problem could also be a bad USB cable, or an incompatible USB port on your computer. Try some different cables, try some different ports. If you can, try connecting the Gemma through a self-powered USB 2.0 hub.

Izmuntil

Post by Izmuntil »

i will try re-installing the USBtinyISP driver again, i assume that it is the "trinkethardwaresupport.zip" file

my computer itself even says that it couldn't install device driver software, i will try and download it on my Mac so maybe it won't be a problem on there.

Izmuntil

Post by Izmuntil »

update: it worked first time on my Mac, not sure why as i didnt change anything. trying to code on my Mac is more difficult just because of its age but it'll do in the place of not coding at all

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you are having trouble look this over https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide

adafruit_support_rick

Izmuntil wrote:i will try re-installing the USBtinyISP driver again, i assume that it is the "trinkethardwaresupport.zip" file
No. the USBtinyISP driver and installation instructions are on this page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

Detailed installation instructions are here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers

Izmuntil

Post by Izmuntil »

Thank you for that link! i have successfully downloaded the driver and can now code on my laptop. the process of installing it was a little different than the tutorial (had to tell the computer to look for an update to the driver, it didnt automatically notice the new driver)

one last question, although this one is in regard to NeoPixels. when i received them, it came with 4 wires on the end, which isn't what i expected (i thought it would either come with three, or none just based on this https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/11056). there is red, white, and 2 blacks, one attached to the white and one not. what is the purpose of this? should i cut the the JST connector and use the white wire, or find a female connector? do i need to use a capacitor if i am using the battery to power both the Gemma and the NeoPixel THROUGH the Gemma? sorry for the barrage of questions

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post a picture of the strip end?

Izmuntil

Post by Izmuntil »

sure, this is what was shipped to me https://imgur.com/n3mMmLd. the bottom end is the start of the data flow, so that'd be the end that i would connect to Gemma

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

White wire is data and the ground is black, those two go to the gemma. The red and black wires are power and would go to the power supply.

Izmuntil

Post by Izmuntil »

i understand that i need one black, white, and red wire to attach the Gemma to the NeoPixel strip, i just want to know why it is in a JST connector (the diagram i posted doesn't use one, it also doesn't incorporate a large capacitor or resistor like the uber guide says one should) and if it is okay to just cut it off so i can use the white wire, or if i should find a female connector and use the white on that

adafruit_support_rick

You can cut off the JST connector.
We don't ship the strips with capacitors or resistors. You can get those at Radio Shack.

jzelsmite

Post by jzelsmite »

Hello I'm trying the do the neopixel earrings I'm using ubuntu 14.4 gemma and my serieal port are not being recognize by arduino ide.

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

The gemma does not appear as a serial port. It emulates a USBtinyISP. It will not appear in your serial ports list.
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”