domain name for kitbiz site

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Shaos

domain name for kitbiz site

Post by Shaos »

I'm thinking about creating some kind of small hobby kitbiz website in US. Should name of that site be long, short, represent real word(s) or phrase, have word "kit" in it or it's OK to be just a number of letters/digits without any special meaning? :roll:

hinermad

Re: domain name for kitbiz site

Post by hinermad »

Just my opinion, of which I have lots (and they're all available for a nominal fee):

A domain name for a business should be easily remembered and easily spelled. Adafruit is an excellent example. It's easy to pronounce when you see it written, and easy to spell when you hear it spoken. When you choose a name, ask yourself this: if you ran a radio ad for your business would listeners be able to figure out the domain name after hearing it once? If you have to spell it out, people aren't going to get it right. If it's a memorable phrase and easy to spell, length is less of a concern. You want to make it as easy as possible for people to get to your site.

Also, it may help to use a name that'd be hard for someone with dyslexia to confuse. For example, until today I kept reading the name of this part of the forum as "kibitz." Something to think about.

One other suggestion: try to get a ".com" domain if you can. I tend to assume that's what a business has, so when I enter danssmallpartsandkits.com and get a "this domain is for sale" page I assume Dan went out of business. (The correct site is danssmallpartsandkits.net, and Dan is still selling radio parts.)

Good luck!

Dave

Shaos

Post by Shaos »

Thanks for reply! What about .us domain?
Is it good idea to have one or just .com should be enough?

hinermad

Post by hinermad »

Shaos wrote:Thanks for reply! What about .us domain?
Is it good idea to have one or just .com should be enough?
The .us top-level domain is easy enough to remember. I guess I was thinking of the older vendors I've dealt with over the years who jumped on the web. I'd assume Jameco or Digi-Key to have a .com address.

Actually, if you can work the domain into the company name it makes it more memorable. Something like "funkitsfor.us" might work, although some people might go looking for "funkitsforus.com" instead. That's not an insurmountable problem - not everybody is as easily confused as I am (Grin). It'd be up to your advertising to make sure people knew the difference.

If I could have only one top level domain and it wasn't already part of the company name, I'd try to go with .com, .us, or .biz. If you can get one of those I don't know that adding .org or .net would be of any benefit.

Dave

Shaos

Post by Shaos »

What about D.B.A.? Should I register my online store officially as "Doing Business As" for domain name? Right now I'm thinking about e-store title something like "Electronic Kits by MyFirstName MyLastName" that doesn't require any type of registration (including DBA), but what about domain name itself? It can not be ElectronicKitsByFirstLastName.com - too long. Probably it will be just some kind of abbreviation that will not include my full name in it. Is it a problem?

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

Regarding a domain name:

IMHO, your .com name will be your business name. So, you kinda need to start with finding a avaiable .com name. And....I wish you good luck with that. You'll quickly find out ever single word domain name is taken. And most all of the two word domain names are also snapped up.

IMHO - a dot com is the only thing worth going for. Dot net, org, tv....they all are kinda second class domain names.

You can spend days just trying to find a decent domain.

I hope that helps a bit.

technobly

Post by technobly »

Since you brought it up... what do you think of my domain/company name?

FightCube Technologies, Inc. (FTI)
FightCube Industries, Inc. (FII or FI²)
http://www.FightCube.com
"There ARE no rules"

The name is a play on words after the movie Fight Club, and the first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club... and so on. Well, I don't want to limit myself or the company from straight up creative and fun engineering ...so, "There ARE no rules."

I haven't Inc'd yet, but I want to soon. So I have time to decide on Technologies or Industries...

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”