Open-Source Kit for VFD/Nixie Alarm Clock

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
samblue

Open-Source Kit for VFD/Nixie Alarm Clock

Post by samblue »

Hello - I am working on a design for an open-source hardware project to produce an Alarm Clock kit that could drive VFD (Vacuum-Fluorescent) displays or Nixie tubes.

There has been a great deal of activity in recent years with individual developers making clocks that drive Nixie or VFD tubes, with an amazing variety of designs and tube types.

Case in point: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=vfd+nixie+clock

Products such as the Arduinix Shield ( http://arduinix.com/ ) fill a need for developers who want to drive exotic displays from an Arduino.

Would anyone here be interested in an all-in-one kit that had all of the required components to support a variety of clock designs with a variety of hardware requirements?

Here is a wish list of requirements. I am currently working on a schematic. Let me know what you think:

Basic requirements:
• Based on ATMega168 (Possibly Arduino bootloader)
• Programmable by ISP or USB
• Accurate clock circuit based on DS107
• On-board Piezo when no external alarm is used
• Can drive a variety of both Vacuum-Fluorescent or Nixie Tubes (may want a separate module for VFD/Nixie support)

PSU:
• 12v input
• 5 VDC for uC
• adjustable 6-12 VDC for electromechanical alarm actuator (solenoid)
• adjustable 1-5 VAC for VFD filament (required to drive larger VFDs may need filament driver chip)
• adjustable 15-180 VDC for VFD or Nixie grid/anodes
• 8 user interface inputs: buttons, sensors, rotary encoder, etc...

I/O:
• 2 user interface outputs (LED indicators, alarm, etc...)
• 0-12v external alarm output (to drive solenoid,
• 40 High-Voltage display outputs: (can be multiplexed to drive up to 200 elements in a 20x20 configuration)

Nice to have / Future incarnations:
• 12v Battery backup for up to 24hrs - includes charging circuit and auto switching in event of power failure
• Motion (or proximity) sensor to control fade-in / fade out of display to save power
• GPS interface for automatic time (and time zone) setting
• Ethernet / WiFi interface
• Automatically download alerts (E-mail, Twitter, facebook, Google Calendar, etc...)
• iPod support
• 120V switchable outlet (turn a light on instead of alarm)

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”