Trademarks and KitBiz

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Shaos

Trademarks and KitBiz

Post by Shaos »

I know that it is not allowed to use trademarkes in names of independent products as "AVRsomething" (see here) or "PICsomething" (see here), but what if it will not be direct use of the whole name, but something similar as "PIXBOX" (a board based on PIC) or "AUROPA" (a board based on AVR) etc? :roll:

adafruit

Re: Trademarks and KitBiz

Post by adafruit »

Shaos wrote:I know that it is not allowed to use trademarkes in names of independent products as "AVRsomething" (see here) or "PICsomething" (see here), but what if it will not be direct use of the whole name, but something similar as "PIXBOX" (a board based on PIC) or "AUROPA" (a board based on AVR) etc? :roll:
we're not lawyers and some of this would be decided in a court if the trademark owner felt that the trademark was too close in name and usage to theirs. usually smart businesses will just avoid any confusion for the market to avoid any issues. you call something "BUBBLETRON - for PIC based board applications" etc - to avoid worrying about using PIC.

a recent example is the arduino team requesting that makers call their shields THINGX for arduino as opposed to arduino THINGX shield.

cheers,
adafruit

Shaos

Post by Shaos »

Thanks! But what about "BoArduino"? ;)
As I know "ARDUINO" is registered trademark in US (IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT BOARDS)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Shaos wrote:Thanks! But what about "BoArduino"? ;)
As I know "ARDUINO" is registered trademark in US (IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT BOARDS)
boarduino was granted to us specifically by the arduino team.

cheers,
adafruit

Shaos

Post by Shaos »

adafruit wrote:boarduino was granted to us specifically by the arduino team.
Wow! I didn't realize that :oops:

Actually the product page does not say anything about the fact that boarduino is a "licensed" clone of arduino (or "official" clone?)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Shaos wrote:
adafruit wrote:boarduino was granted to us specifically by the arduino team.
Wow! I didn't realize that :oops:

Actually the product page does not say anything about the fact that boarduino is a "licensed" clone of arduino (or "official" clone?)
listed here:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware

"Recommended Third-Party Hardware
Products from others that we've tried and liked; compatible with the Arduino software.
* Boarduino from Adafruit Industries. For use in bread-boards with FTDI USB-to-TTL-Serial cable or other USB-to-serial adapter. Available as a bare PCB or in kit form. "

mctaylor

Post by mctaylor »

Since you are from the USA, I'd suggest looking at Nolo's Trademark web site and low-cost books, so you can make an reasonably informed decision. Useful for all forms of IP (Intellectual Property) law (though obviously US-centric).

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”