Kit Idea - TLC5940 Breakout

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
robotgrrl

Kit Idea - TLC5940 Breakout

Post by robotgrrl »

Hi there readers,

Here's an idea for a "kit"- a breakout board for the TLC5940 IC. It's a 16 bit PWM driver, so sort of like a shift out chip, but
it does PWM too. There's a tutorial for it on Arduino already:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/TLC5940

Personally, I ordered two of these chips from Mouser, specified DIP but they came as SMD. It seems as though no one has the IC in DIP anymore. I don't have the tools to do SMD successfully, and I'm pretty sure the majority of other Arduino users out there don't either. At $5 per chip, it's a bit of a waste!

So a tiny breakout board with the chip on it would probably sell like hotcakes. I would buy 4!

Maybe someone will see this and fab some! :D

adafruit

Re: Kit Idea - TLC5940 Breakout

Post by adafruit »

hmm, we found the TLC5940N at a lot of sites like mouser and digikey. they probably just sent you the wrong one. TI seems to still be making it :)

rocketgeek

Post by rocketgeek »

Sounds like a mis-pick -- it happens occasionally. Give them a call and they should be able to fix it for you.

KeyboardKowboy

Post by KeyboardKowboy »

I purchased some TLC5940's from Mouser, and also received some samples directly from TI. The DIP package is referred to as the NT package for this chip. So I ordered the TLC5940NT, and it's the standard breadboard DIP layout.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”