Selling PCBs that use lead based paste

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
wayneft

Selling PCBs that use lead based paste

Post by wayneft »

I'm looking into starting my own kit biz selling both kits and finished projects. I was wondering if anyone knows what the regs are around using lead based solder paste. I see a lot of discussions around ROHS and selling in Europe and the USA (USA based business). I've never reflowed with lead paste and I was hoping I wouldn't have to use it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mitpatterson

Re: Selling PCBs that use lead based paste

Post by mitpatterson »

as of now in the US you don't have to worry about using lead based paste, in EU i'm entirly sure the regs around it. And you say your never relowed with lead paste, do you mean you've never used lead-free paste?

wayneft

Post by wayneft »

Oops...you're right, I meant to say lead free paste. Yeah just wondering what the impact would be if I sold items overseas.

Wayne

chatham

Post by chatham »

Good call to look into it. I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like I've been advised that I'll have to use lead-free solder if I want to get that CE mark to sell completed stuff there in Europe. Of course, I've kinda felt like there's a lot of people doing a lot of legally questionable things in terms of complying with regulations. I imagine RoHS stuff is probably more of a sticking point for inspectors than stuff like EMI certification. For instance, neither my Arudino Diecimilla, Aruduino Mega, or AVR-ISPII programmer have an FCC certification mark, although they sure seem to fall under the scope of those regulations to me as computer peripherals.

Sorry, I got distracted there. I know at least the Monome.org folk are using lead-free solder, and one of the reasons is for European BANNED purposes. And less lead in the world is a good thing, so I think you should probably go ahead and try to switch to lead-free, if it's possible. Yeah, it's a headache, but less of a headache than dealing with lawsuits in foreign countries, I'd wager. I wish you luck - I'm just getting into SMD/hot air, and I hear the lead-free stuff is kinda a pain.

wayneft

Post by wayneft »

I must say I have an enormous headache right now from researching all of "conformity" aspects of starting up a small business. Does anyone know if there are any issues using the DIY toaster ovens with lead-free paste due to the higher reflow temperature? So far from what I've read there is at least one positive aspect to lead-free (other than health) is that bridging problems appear to be less because it doesn't flow as much.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

for reflow questions, post in the SMT forums

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

The whole lead-free thing is a bit of a joke - misguided legislation based on poor research. Metallic lead is notoriously unreactive and just isn't a problem.
Don't waste time worrying about it - like EMC, nobody is going to know or care whether or not you've jumped through all the regulatory hoops in a low-volume product.
Temperature control and heat distribution on a toaster isn't perfect, so leaded solder gives you more headroom between 'melt' and 'burn', and better joint quality.
Unreliable products are far more likely to cause you problems.
If getting stuff done by a subcontractor, sure go lead-free because they are set up for it and have tweaked their process to do it reliably, but for low-volume back-room stuff, use whatever works best, and that's usually leaded.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

The headache with lead is when it winds up in landfills. The standard test to determine leachability give high lead levels from both CRT glass and PCBs in toxic water-soluble form, although there's some question as to how accurately the test reflects landfill conditions.

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Any lead in a few hundred units of a hobbyist kit is going to be completely insignificant comparedto the thousands of tons of old consumer electronics out there.

wayneft

Post by wayneft »

I'm going to give it the old college try with the lead free paste. I ordered some of the zerolead paste from Zeph.com last week because I've heard some pretty good things about them. I actually spent about an hour on the phone with the CEO talking politics, very interesting man.

uhe

Post by uhe »

Leadbased solder is not completely banned in the EU but it's unlikly that you sell components for military/aero/space or nuclear power plants ;)
At least for nuclear power plants it's even mandatory to use lead based solder.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

mikeselectricstuff wrote:Any lead in a few hundred units of a hobbyist kit is going to be completely insignificant comparedto the thousands of tons of old consumer electronics out there.
Which is why it costs anywhere from $10 to $50 to throw away an old TV these days.

frankmurch

Post by frankmurch »

SAC305 is common as the alloy of choice. SnPb is about 50% of the US market. Domestic (European) companies can use SnPb, but imports into Europe generally require the SAC305. SnPb is a better alloy (technically) but I would go with SAC305 - it will make your life easier. It is mostly a European import issue, but is Asia, in an attempt to gain market share in the green world there are company policies and spec.s. These spec.s are coming out of at least 15 companies and are not unified. Generally it involves Lead, Cadmium and Chlorine and Halides (Halogens). There is a green leaf mark to show compliance. It is not a legal issue, but a commercial compliance issue

If you email me ([email protected]) I think I have a power point outlining all the different specs out there. Basically, it is bigger than we are - stick with SAC305 unless you control the build. Automotive, Industrial and Military are the 3 areas still using SnPb

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”