Type of Bag

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
mitpatterson

Type of Bag

Post by mitpatterson »

I'm designed a Shield kit for Aurdino and just wanted to be sure if would be safe to package the kit in a standard plastic bag, or does it need to be in a antistatic bag? here is what will be in the kit:
  • PCB

Buzzer/Speaker

Tact Switch

Trimmer/Potentiometer

some headers

and i almost forgot, a TMP36 would that be fine left in some antistatic foam/the cardboard it comes on form the factory? or would that one probaly static sensitive part make the whole thing need to be in an antistatic bag?

jaak

Re: Type of Bag

Post by jaak »

The TMP36 is the only ESD sensitive device you listed, so that would be the only thing that would really need protection. The factory packaging would be sufficient.

(Although, I am old enough to remember when ESD sensitive devices were shipped and stored in aluminum foil (and those devices were wayyyy more sensitive to ESD damage than stuff today).)

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

If you order chips from china, they will often make their own anti-static foam by wrapping AL foil over some Styrofoam into almost a neat little present. It's amazing how little labor costs there, compared to materials that they would take the time to do that.

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

i actually did that my self, as i ordered the chips from digikey, i actually had asked Dave Jones of the eevblog what he thought and thats what he said, stick the part in a little antistatic foam and then wrap that in AL foil, makes dirt cheap static shielding, so i have about 18 little "foil blogs" in a bag waiting to either let me kickstarter go though, or start selling them another way

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”