Looking to commission a project, if I can afford it

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Jane

Looking to commission a project, if I can afford it

Post by Jane »

Sorry if this isn't in the right place. Please feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate section.

There's a gadget I would like, and I was wondering what it would take to get someone to design and/or make it for me.

The gadget in question would be much like a three way chess clock. There are other features that might be nice, but the minimum requirement is: three timers connected in such a way that only one may be running at once. It must be easily portable (and ideally pocket-worthy), and easy to switch which timer is running. It should also be easy to read the total for each timer.

It is intended to conveniently track what percentage of time is spent working, playing, and resting, respectively.

adafruit

Re: Looking to commission a project, if I can afford it

Post by adafruit »

you might want to post up in the jobs board! (see above, JOBS in the menu bar)

Jane

Post by Jane »

Ah, sorry--where is that? I've looked again, and I'm not seeing. . .

Edit: never mind. I can read. Apparently.

Jane

Post by Jane »

On the one hand, the jobs board makes sense--and on the other hand, that's a quite a lot of my personal information to be passing out before I even know if this is plausible.

I have no idea what sort of resource investment this would take to create. Could anyone give me some ballpark/order-of-magnitude estimates of time/money/materials needed to build this?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

This would be a good candidate for the general projects forum. How many digits? How big (digits)? Resets or not? Would three buttons, one for each counter work?

Jane

Post by Jane »

Sorry for the delayed response.

On the general projects forum--good to know. Should I copy it over there?

What do you mean by resets or not? Three buttons, one for each counter, seems like it would be fine--although one should be able to do something to those buttons to reset the entire clock.

I don't know how big the digits would need to be; I guess it depends on whether they're backlit or not, and otherwise how readable they are. I don't think they'd need to be huge, because you can just pick up the device and look at it--as opposed to a chess clock, which is stationary and a few feet away from your face. They need to be as clear as a display on a cell phone.

Hmn. . . I guess this could even be done with actual face clocks, which would be kinda cool in a steam-punky way.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”