Sourcing RGB LEDs

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
hiwrac

Sourcing RGB LEDs

Post by hiwrac »

Now that the circuit design of my first kit is complete it is time to design for manufacturing.

I am having trouble finding a good source for tri-color RGB leds.

I am looking for a variety of types including:

Through-hole diffuse such as these,
through-hole clear such as these, as well as SMT versions of both .

Searching digikey and mouser seems to yield only very expensive versions ($1.50+), in fact adafruit seems to have the best prices I can find. I am looking to purchase a 200-500 at a time (possibly more for SMT versions). Can anyone recommend a source for these?

richms

Re: Sourcing RGB LEDs

Post by richms »

Watch out, cheap is often BANNED as I have found getting from the cheap vendors on ebay, and they want you to send it back to get a paypal refund which costs more than you paid for the things so its just not worth it etc. I am sure that many of the vendors are selling good ones, but I have had too many obvious rejects from there to bother again, particually if you find it only after soldering it into something.

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

The LED brightnesses listed on eBay auctions are very optimistic. And by "very optimistic", I mean "Freakin' out of their mind" :shock:

richms

Post by richms »

Never got the obsession with mCd as a measurement when the beams are so narrow, yet misinformed that you can only use them as a spotlight, but only one that projects a lopsided oval with a dark patch at one end.

Oh, and dont count on any consistency in a bag of 200 blue LEDs about what blue they are, what angle they are, or if they work or not.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”