Importance of 2x3 ISP connection?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
tcoop25

Importance of 2x3 ISP connection?

Post by tcoop25 »

I am building a GPS logger kit that is Arduino compatible using an Atmega328. I plan to ship it with the Arduino bootloader installed, and an FTDI connection for uploading code. I am out of room on the PCB, and haven't included a 2x3 ISP connection. Is this a bad decision? Should I go back and add one? Or will people be OK without it?

-TC

TheFallen

Re: Importance of 2x3 ISP connection?

Post by TheFallen »

How do you plan on programming the bootloader on?

It your using a pdip package ATMega328 then you can pull it out and stick in a board that does have a ISP connection, otherwise if it's surface mount you'd need to either clip on the connections or solder on wires.

tcoop25

Post by tcoop25 »

I will be using Evil Mad Scientist's ISP shield to program the chips. It is a completely through-hole kit.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article ... eld2/print

I am more worried about those who don't want to use the Arduino bootloader, and would prefer to use avrdude. Are there enough of these users to make it worthwhile to have an ISP connection?

-TC

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

So a pdip chip, I'd say you'd be fine. If someone wants to change the bootloader (optiboot/arduino etc) then chances are they'll be advanced enough to figure out how to hack in an ISP connector of some type.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”