Wanted to share a great deal i found for component storage... ends tomorrow

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
itcamefrommars

Wanted to share a great deal i found for component storage... ends tomorrow

Post by itcamefrommars »

Copy of what I posted on the hackerspaces.org disc list.
I hope this is ok to post here....

I'm a member of gumbolabs of new orleans and also working hard to get a kitbiz going... so not just some spammer.

I went this morning to harbor freight to buy another of the rolling bin carts.
They rock... I now have 3.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mobile-dou ... 95551.html

The "old" model - which identical to that one - is discontinued and on clearance till tomorrow...
If you're a member of their "inside track club" with discounts it comes to 10 bucks each! Normally 2 would cost 300 but I only spent 20! Weeeee.

These things save me as I stock thousands of each component I buy (starting a OSHW biz soon) -

I checked everywhere in the 150 mile local radius and we're out now down here....
but I strongly suggest any hackerspace or kitbiz to call the local HF store to see if they have any left - you have to ask for SKU# 67630 - not the listed one on the website... it's the old SKU that is discontinued. Makes no sense as the old one is the same as the new product..

You may have to go to the store because the old SKU doesn't even list on their website anymore. - ya might have to get them to check in the back.... Shoot.. buy them and sell them on ebay for funds since they sell for 120 - 190 online!

Here's the SKU's again:
67630 - the product - comes in two boxes
87701 - the box that has the 90 bins
87702 - the box that has the rolling double sided rack.

Good luck, and I hope this is welcome here... please let me know if it's not appropriate - i didn't look up any rules cuz i wanted to post soon for anyone interested... it's only through tomorrow... oh and you can join their club and get the discount at the same time for 20 more i think... it's def worth it.

Cheers!!!
- mars

itcamefrommars

Re: Wanted to share a great deal i found for component storage... ends tomorrow

Post by itcamefrommars »

Hey, if anyone finds a slew of these.. I'll pay to get two more shipped to me! :)
5 would be perfect.

Also if anyone is interested - I can share some way's I'm getting high quantities of kitbiz parts for dimes to pennies on the dollar of ( distributor quantity pricing - but ya gotta enjoy the hustle of scrounging a little like I do.

Ok gang... and I hope to post with stuff I've learned in this process of getting going soon...
I've learned alot recently about the many "it's really smart to do this!" stuff on the business side -
such as
- incorporating - why, how (easy and cheap), and where
- legal issues to think about and prevent from the get-go
- china pricing ... as in (how I was told) china pricing for americans and china pricing for china price differences. (just don't buy "arduino's" from china... clones are not cool when they break the OSHW rules - albeit they can be price-tempting)
- amazing component overstock deals to get started - but not time sensible for a already running and established biz...
- new marketing guerrilla style for beginning that are getting eager followers before I'm even launched

Cheers again all...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sounds great!

Shaos

Post by Shaos »

Probably it's kind of local (or insider?) event, because in our "harbor" they have only 45-bin thing for $79.99 (without wheels). By the way - I looked at this and touched this - it looks kind of unreliable (it will not live long) - each plastic bin has 2 plastic hooks to hang, but it can be easily broken (looks like) and also the thing that they have to exhibit has very few bins still hanging and almost all of them broken - cracks and breaks etc.

itcamefrommars

Post by itcamefrommars »

I'll just make a quick note.
Take this as a review of the product and follow up from previous post. They can still be got for$ 99 there... if the $10 SKU # was sold out.

They only issue I've had was a very slight clearance from the bolts on the bottom holding the wheels on the bollom.
I added a washer to each bolt and no prob. The bins however are standard "professional" style and quality. Prolly not antistatic though for sure. They lock and stack nice when loose, have the full lip on back that is molded well for easy hanging on rack. They also have the space in front so slip in labels.

I'm not sure which one you saw... but... I have bought a very small 16bin wall mount thing from them before that was such BANNED I tossed it.
It however was much smaller... and obviously not made from the same factory. All very soft poorly molded plastic.
It was completely different quality and the bins were of garbage plastics than the one I mention now.

The one I mentioned two days ago... I've used it for over a year (paid 99 when it was on sale) and liked it so much I was going to buy another one monday... that's when the guy told me is was discontinued and for $10. He confirmed it was nationwide... otherwise I would not have bothered posting.

Like anything you assemble yourself - crankin' down the bolts and using some lock washers - will make anything rock solid.
It's like ikea - but better because theres a limit to how much you can crank down onto wood...
I keep a pretty heavy vinyl cutter on top of my old one... and have stacked a ton of boxes of 10" touch display screens on top- about 200 screens - LCD/touchpanel - and no sway or anything. There are very solid angle beam stabilization. furthermore... some of the fittings are so tight you have to mallet them in lightly... but you wouldn't even need the hardware on those parts.
And the bins just slip on and are lipped just right- enough to be very stable like they should.

Don't mean to argue - but I find this item a great deal - even at 100 bucks ! When i was running labs at the university - we'd pay over 1000 for something inferior as far as usable space/number of bins. I'd still recommend it for 99 bucks - absolutely the best buy I've made for my lab/studio/OSHW startup.

Now.... I know there are harbor freight haters - but point is... if it's not critical... I buy tools from there.
I have drills I've bought simply because I left my makita impact in my shop... quick drop in to HF for a 25 dollar unit... I still use it for everyday stuff that I don't want to wear out my expensive tools. I wonder if the HF will outlast the makita - simply because I use it so much... and I forget to keep the LiPo on the Mak conditioned.
I look forward to HF tools breaking! Although that has been very rare.... a shame because I love fixing and improva-engineering stuff!

I wouldn't buy a full blown Xray unit from them though.... I'll stick to my GE for that! (ok... little too excited about my new xray machines - I'm bragging about it every place I can :) )

Cheers! And a thumbs up for this unit... I can post a pic and vid if anyone is interested for their hackerspace/workshop/OSHW startup.

Believe me... it's saving me! With thousands of each component and getting close to more than a hundred diff components - WAY too many parts and components.... Workflow and appropriate storage are both absoluty essential if you are one-person operation and even more so if you have helpers...

I hope some folks got to grab some on the cheap!
Some friends at other hackerspaces far from NewOrleans here got at least one that I know of.

Cheers!
-Mars

ps btw - shaos... I really like your design! I'll comment something on that thread. Brief and non-verbose - I promise. :)

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”