Travelling Through China; Want to Meet Mfgs.

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
johnnyc

Travelling Through China; Want to Meet Mfgs.

Post by johnnyc »

I'm planning a trip to China and will be arriving in a few days. This is a little last minute, but I thought I'd throw something up and see if I could get some advice.

I'll be travelling to Beijing, Shanghai, Shezuan, and Wuhan. I'll be meeting the company we use for PCB manufacturing already, Gold Phoenix, in Wuhan. I'll also be meeting Seed Studios as well.

I'm hoping to meet some part suppliers and manufacturers to diversify where we get our boards made, and where we get our assembly done.

Does anyone out there have any advice about where and who I should talk to while I'm there? factory tours of course would be awesome, but meeting with folks that are making and assembling PCB's would be even better!

Thanks!

buro

Re: Travelling Through China; Want to Meet Mfgs.

Post by buro »

That's a rather strange choice of locations... more like a list of tourest sight seeing destinations than manufacturing shitholes. If you want electronics manufacturing then go to Shenzhen. Throw a rock and you'll hit a parts broker/board manufacturer over there! Or any of the cities near HK really.

If by Shezuan you actually mean Sichuan then take the time to visit the local electronics market in Chengdu (I think it's called 城隍庙电子市场 but goo-maps.hk may be lying to me - ask a local with a clue). It's like a sleepy country town compared to the markets of Shenzhen, Beijing, etc. but I think that makes it more interesting. The people there are less money-mad than in other cities, more willing to talk and help you find what you're after.

The reality of parts suppliers is they are all online now. No need to go to China, just go to china.alibaba.com or taobao.com to find what you want. Just make sure to ask the right questions to avoid surprises.

johnnyc

Re: Travelling Through China; Want to Meet Mfgs.

Post by johnnyc »

Shezuan = Shenzhen. Misspelled originally.

The reality of parts suppliers is they are all online now. No need to go to China, just go to china.alibaba.com or taobao.com to find what you want. Just make sure to ask the right questions to avoid surprises.

Right, I'm aware. I was hoping to get a little bit of a better understanding of what's available, that's all. I think a lot can be relationship-based in these countries. Thanks for the advice anyways!

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”