Unrealistically Expensive Kit

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
sircastor

Re: Unrealistically Expensive Kit

Post by sircastor »

rellik wrote:
I think I can address the problem by just not providing a case. I set a grid up on my wall (with no case), and it looks pretty cool.
You may want to provide it as an add-on, or simply stick the files up on your website: If someone wants to make one, they can!

This looks really cool!

technobly

Post by technobly »

Maybe you can use some of this off the shelf material to frame your strips?

Fluorescent light plastic egg crate diffuser grid

I don't know if the spacing is right, or what the spacing even is... it's hard to find online, but I see it at Menards, Lowes and Home Depot (i.e., local hardware stores)

Ok, found one online. 1/2" squares, 2 foot by 4 foot panel
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lighti ... GG-500X2X4
They sell them in gold too... LOL. Also in 3/8" squares.

sparr

Post by sparr »

Personally, I have access to a virtually unlimited supply and variety of ac/ac, ac/dc, and dc/dc power bricks. I don't care to have them included in kits that I purchase.

Also, 2.75 as a multiplier does not scale well.

technobly

Post by technobly »

sparr wrote:Personally, I have access to a virtually unlimited supply and variety of ac/ac, ac/dc, and dc/dc power bricks. I don't care to have them included in kits that I purchase.

Also, 2.75 as a multiplier does not scale well.
I agree power adapters should not be included by default if they are common, but should be an option to add to cart.

Since when does 2.75 not scale well? ... see here:
$14 parts * 2.75 * 10,000 kits = YOUR HOUSE IS PAID OFF!

Personally I've heard all kinds of different numbers for profit margin. I think I know what you mean though... $100 worth of parts does not warrant $175 worth of profit for putting said parts in a bag and shipping out. I think you have to make your mark up decent enough to support offer dealer pricing, and make it worth your while... you don't want to be a one-kit-wonder.

rellik

Post by rellik »

FightCube wrote:
sparr wrote:Also, 2.75 as a multiplier does not scale well.
Since when does 2.75 not scale well? ... see here:
$14 parts * 2.75 * 10,000 kits = YOUR HOUSE IS PAID OFF!

Personally I've heard all kinds of different numbers for profit margin. I think I know what you mean though... $100 worth of parts does not warrant $175 worth of profit for putting said parts in a bag and shipping out. I think you have to make your mark up decent enough to support offer dealer pricing, and make it worth your while... you don't want to be a one-kit-wonder.
Yeah, I hear what you guys are saying. I worry about some of the stuff I read about people underpricing their kits, and then being unable to sell to resellers for a profit (or being swamped with random customer service stuff, for very little profit). That said, it isn't clear to me how well it scales. I'd love to hear from anybody that has had a few successful kits in the pricier range.

I do well enough in my day job that this kit stuff is only intended to be a fun side project, but if I'm lucky enough to have a kit do well, it would take up enough time to manage that process that it would have to be profitable to not be really frustrating, I think.

technobly

Post by technobly »

What do you think about the egg crate diffuser?

Even if it won't work for your application, I'm thinking it's pretty nice material to use in other LED projects... especially if you covered it with a piece of translucent acrylic (maybe white).

rellik

Post by rellik »

FightCube wrote:What do you think about the egg crate diffuser?

Even if it won't work for your application, I'm thinking it's pretty nice material to use in other LED projects... especially if you covered it with a piece of translucent acrylic (maybe white).
It's a neat material. I'm not sure how the spacing will be, with the specific spacing of the LEDs, but I'm planning on taking a segment of the LED strip to a local hardware store and checking it out.

Thanks for the tip. I love finding new materials for current/future projects :)

technobly

Post by technobly »

Cool, let us know what you find. Do you have any close up photos of your LED strips you could share?

rellik

Post by rellik »

I'll take some this weekend. At the moment, the best I have is my site-in-progress: http://www.ampsive.com

brucef

Post by brucef »

rellik wrote:I'll take some this weekend. At the moment, the best I have is my site-in-progress: http://www.ampsive.com
"Resolution is overrated." Brilliant.

Nice site aesthetic, I like it. I think I'd try to tie down and neaten up the wiring a bit for such a prominent picture. Not a major rework or anything, just kinda like how you might straighten the couch cushions before guests arrive.

rellik

Post by rellik »

BruceF wrote:
rellik wrote:I'll take some this weekend. At the moment, the best I have is my site-in-progress: http://www.ampsive.com
Nice site aesthetic, I like it. I think I'd try to tie down and neaten up the wiring a bit for such a prominent picture. Not a major rework or anything, just kinda like how you might straighten the couch cushions before guests arrive.
Thanks for the tip. I'm still iterating on parts, display, PCB, etc, so it's all very rough-cut. Progress is slow when I have to wait for parts from jameco/PCB house/etc =/

electrotek

Post by electrotek »

If it hasn't already been mentioned Laen over at Dorkbot PDX has medium batch runs for $1.00 a square inch. min order is 150 square inches, but you get all sorts of goodies, check them out.

http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

Electrotek

rellik

Post by rellik »

electrotek wrote:If it hasn't already been mentioned Laen over at Dorkbot PDX has medium batch runs for $1.00 a square inch. min order is 150 square inches, but you get all sorts of goodies, check them out.

http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

Electrotek
Thanks for the tip. I got a test batch from these guys, and it looks great (haven't actually soldered it yet, though). Looks like these are the answer, for me. I'll update when I get all the prices figured out :)

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”