Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Making my own Snap Circuit

by natarajan.gaundamani on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi,

I was under the impression that I got a revolutionary idea of making a snap circuit which snaps to each other with buttons all over, completing a circuit. Sadly, after an initial check, I found that one such kit is already under sale here. Now I am not sure what to do.

Later I thought that (probably may not be true) all stuff sold in adafruit industries come under OSHW and anybody can redo it and sell it for a profit, but sadly "Snap Circuits" does not mention anything like that.

So, now what are my options?
1. I cannot purchase it from Elenco and resell it as the cost is too high. For rural people in a country like India, it is out of reach.
2. Can I still remake it with slight modifications (my version with my idea) and sell it?

I know it might sound rude, but I can feel it when I thought about a plan for entire two days only knowing that someone has already done something similar to it, but you cannot do it now.

Please provide your valuable suggestions.
natarajan.gaundamani

Re: Making my own Snap Circuit

by natarajan.gaundamani on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 pm

So many views and not a single response. I thought atleast adafruit team would respond.
natarajan.gaundamani

by BruceF on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 am

^ Up there in red. "Forum rules: ... do not ask for legal advice..."

I'm sure lots of people have opinions, but I think that particular rule is wise.
- Bruce
BruceF

by natarajan.gaundamani on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 am

Although it might sound like, I am not asking for any legal opinions here. I know that there are copyright laws and one must obey them. But I am simply asking for general opinions from folks here.

@BruceF,

Thanks for the response. I still wonder if "Free Speech" is objectionable in this forum. Kindly suggest if you have suggestions.
natarajan.gaundamani