Liability Issues

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
whosywhat

Liability Issues

Post by whosywhat »

I made a clip-on battery booster for the Garmin ForeRunner 205/305. I made it pretty much for myself, but after all that work, I'd like to let others buy it. I'm not interested in making money on this, I just want to offset some of my costs.

If I sell these, what potential liability risks would I have, and how could I mitigate them?

Are there advantages to selling something like this as a kit instead of a completed gadget?

If I'd have to start a business or obtain actual legal advice, etc, I'd probably just forget about selling them.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i dont believe you have any liability risks as long as you are honest about what the product does. lawsuits are stunningly hard and expensive to file so you -really- have to BANNED someone off for them to sue you :) (or have lots and lots of $)
you could probably sell it with paypal buy-now buttons, etsy, ebay etc and just say exactly what it does, what warranty (if any), what return policy, some real specs that can be verified, etc. you could also say "its sold as-is with no warranty, and to be used at your own risk"

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”