Kits on sale at "The Maker Store."

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
westfw

Kits on sale at "The Maker Store."

Post by westfw »

Out of curiosity, how many additional sales do you tend to get if one of your kits is chosen by the Make Magazine people to be featured at THEIR store? Do you solicit them, or do they approach you? Do you get a good deal, or does it work out as little more than advertising? (I believe that traditionally, it's pretty difficult to pick up a distributer wanting a 40% or higher discount, when your product is originally "BANNED" priced to be sold direct...)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Make seems to like ~40-50% margin, but they also tend to order 100's of kits and pay on time so it works out. :)
Most people seem to solicit their ideas to them, although of course I cant speak for Make and the peeps who run their store. I'd say maybe up to half of my sales for a kit are thru resellers.
When planning to offer kits to resellers, i consider this ahead of time. Otherwise you end up with pricing anomolies. For example the 'bare bones board' kit is $20 at make and $15 at moderndevice.com.
OTOH, I priced the boarduino kit (which is really just about the same thing as the BBB :) ) at $17.50 so that it would be the same price for resellers if they buy 100.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”