Developing an existing kit for end users

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
mooseheadm5

Developing an existing kit for end users

Post by mooseheadm5 »

So,
I had a lightbulb moment when looking at one of the lady's kits. If I acted as an assembler and designed the packaging for a specific type of end user, what is the best way to do this? The plan:

Buy the kits from adafruit (I have no interest in sourcing my own boards/firmware/materials.)
Design packaging that would target a very specific segment of end users.
Market through an existing business in my family (small cut to the house) or through my own website.
Make small bucks, but enough to support my numerous cash draining hobbies.

So how do I give maximum credit to the person/persons that have done the work to develop the heart of the product? Sure, their fingerprint will be all over the product (printed on the board, coded in the firmware) and could be reverse engineered by any of the purchasers, but if I made anything substantial from these and was only an assembler/marketer what do I do about giving credit where credit was due? Make a deal with the kit developer? What about any contributing coders? I have worked with Megasquirt before, and they specify that you can do whatever you want as long as you buy the board from them.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you mean assembling a kit for resale, people do this quite a bit
especially tv-b-gone, mintyboost and x0xb0x

see:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6877937
and:
http://cgi.ebay.com/x0xb0x-303-XOXBOX-W ... dZViewItem

its pretty easy to give proper credit. asking the original developer for a blessing is -always- the best way to go and avoids -any- problems

mooseheadm5

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Then I think I need to come up with a plan and have a little chat with you once I check the market viability. I'll be in touch.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”