Is print advertising effective?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Jeff

Is print advertising effective?

Post by Jeff »

Hi Limor,

I just read your "15 steps to starting an electronic-kit business" in EDN (August 7, 2008) and wanted to compliment you on a fine list. I took the plunge and started an electronic kit business recently. You mentioned sending a link and short description to blog authors and to DIY forums. I am wondering if you have tried print advertising at all and what places you have found effective. So far I have advertised in ‘Nuts and Volts’ and ‘Home Power’ magazines but perhaps the on-line avenues may prove more effective.

Also compliments on a very fine web site.

Regards,
Jeff Fedison
www.microcircuitlabs.com

westfw

Post by westfw »

One of the things you can do "for free" is send "product announcements" to assorted print magazines. At the whim of the editors (more or less) your announcement may be included in their "news" or "new products" section, which may be better than an advertisement (although it doesn't repeat.) If you happen to get responses based on an announcement in some magazine, it gives you a pretty good hint that that magazine may be a good place to advertise.

cisco did this quite a bit in their infancy...

Naturally, targeting magazines is a good idea; "EDN Magazine" may have little interest in running an announcement of your latest blinky hobby project, while "Model Aircraft News" might. (OTOH, it was EDN that did the article on Adafruit, and readers of the technical trade press might have a significant interest in projects for their kids, so you never can tell.)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you're doing good stuff, you will get 'free' advertising

eil

Post by eil »

100% agree with ladyada here. My opinion: If your content or product is good, people will find you. If they're not finding you, then you're doing something wrong or need to work harder on your product. Those who think advertising or BANNED are important are usually too lazy to come up with a worthwhile product.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”