Is this good enough 'step-by-step'?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
magician13134

Is this good enough 'step-by-step'?

Post by magician13134 »

http://www.magicsoftinc.com/hardware/CHiP/assembly.php
I haven't put up the 'casing' part yet, but for the first part, do you think that's enough for a beginner to follow easily?

Thanks for your input!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'd go with closer pictures and a solid background. You can get posterboard at a craft store in white or better yet gray. In IE7 some of your lines are beyond your background image, you should fix that for a professional look.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i like bigger pictures myself so that you only have to click if a lot of detail is necessary

another thing you might want to think about is that the name "TV-B-Gone" is not in the public domain, it is a trademark owned by mitch. That means you should contact him if you want to use the words to get permission.
for example, I pay mitch a licensing fee (per kit) to use the words 'tv-b-gone' (and also to reimburse him for all the work he has done in creating the kit)

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Thanks for the layout hints, and as for the TV-B-Gone name, I don't know why I didn't think about that. I guess since everyone just uses that name here. I'll get those things fixed up. Thanks

I'm VERY confused about that IE bug, I know why it's happening, 100% is 100% of the parent span rather than the immediate span, BUT if you resize your window, it works. Grrrr.

Edit: YAY, JAVASCRIPT!!!! It's fixed!!! If anyone else has a similar problem here's what I did to fix it:

Code: Select all

<script>
function test(){
	document.getElementById("bodyMain").style.width = document.getElementById("bodyBGBox").offsetWidth;
}
</script>
</head>
<body onLoad='test()'>

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

better lighting on the photos. in addition to making them easier to look at, it will buy you more depth of field.

light back ground on the web page is so much easier to read. i guess people want to differentiate themselves from everything else out there, but i tend to spend very little time looking at sites without good contrast in the text sections.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Just looked again..MUCH better but pictures without 'clutter' in the background will go a long way to making the site look professional.

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I'm going to go the solid background for the EHP, I don't want to use up another CHiP kit, unless the EHP pictures look a bajillion times better. We'll see

I do also want an entirely new layout, I just feel bad ditching this one that I spent so much time on, but it really does suck both client and server-side.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Just sell the ones you build for the photos as "Limited quantity assembled units just $10.00 more"

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Yeah, I also have some boards with some simple mistakes, I could sell those too at discounted rates (backwards LEDs that I was too lazy to fix, etc).

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

you should probably have your own support forum for people like me who tend to stick the chip in backwards.

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Already do, magicsoftinc.com/forums
I was just having some problems with folder permissions resetting, but everything should be worked out now.

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I just got the final box in the mail today, 10 pounds of AA holders! (Grr, I have to screw in each screw myself :( )
But I just wanted to be sure I haven't overlooked anything obvious, I have gotten:
Huge box of battery boxes
Huger box of components from Mouser
PCBs
Anti-static bags (that came in an antistatic bag... Go figure)
Bubble mailers (I got too many for these to come in a bubble mailer)
VHS size boxes
Priority mail sticker/insurance forms/International/Customs forms

I think I need printable labels for packages.... But that's all, right?

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

have you thought about using mootools and slimbox for enlarging the images?

I'll pm you a link for an example on a website that I have for a demo if you want it...

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I was considering Lightbox, I'll put that up in a bit since I've used it many times before

eil

Post by eil »

I personally hate the lightbox trend on web pages. It looks spiffy but it's slow, not usable in all web browsers (especially mobile ones), and not at all user friendly. If, after clicking on an image, I want to go back to the article I can't just hit the Back button in my browser or else it takes me to the page previous to the article. Instead I have to hunt for the Close button on the image itself and fight the urge to use the Back button for every single image after that. Grah.

Just my two cents. :)

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”