SMD-Based Kits?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
incoherent

SMD-Based Kits?

Post by incoherent »

Is the world ready for SMD-based kits?

You can make some super-cool, super-compact gizmos with SMDs, and if you stick with 1206 or SOIC size components its not too difficult to solder, but would those jazzed about half-sized TV-Be-Gones outweigh those who'd shy away out of fear?

And of the jazzed/brave set, would you have more customers fail?

--incoherent

adafruit

Re: SMD-Based Kits?

Post by adafruit »

smd kits are OK but be aware that they just wont be as popular as THM
id stick to 1206's and SOIC

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You can buy This as a kit!

FREDICVSMAXIMVS

Post by FREDICVSMAXIMVS »

I'd totally be into that! I participated in SparkFun's SMD soldering workshop at MakerFaire in Austin and it was a blast! (A teeny, tiny blast!) The guy next to me said it was like soldering grains of pepper, and he wasn't kidding!

So, yeah, count me in. ;)

loydmilligan

Post by loydmilligan »

I would be very interested in SMD kits. I learned soldering and basic circuit design from putting together through holes kits. Now i would appreciate learning "the next step" from kits are a little tougher. Does anyone have any other smd kits that they could recommend?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Hobby Boards has some HERE

josheeg

Post by josheeg »

I like hot plate soldering I got a ads1256 analog to digital converter that is 24bit and 30K samples per sec.
So one hot plate and a sparkfun adapter allow me to make a surface mount chip into a through hole sortof chip.

These could be useful to people who don't want to solder it that way and usful for people who do but don't want to do the entire project that way.

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

I'll grant you that I am an Electronic Engineer (well nearly) But the only size I have issues with is 0402 and they're frigging tiny. The most important thing for SMD soldering is tweasers followed by good lighting. Other bits are very helpful but by no means nessesary.

I would love SMD to be exploited by kit makers more as it lets you create some REALLY powerful things and yet stick them in tiny places. I mean look at the size difference between and Arduino Nano and an Arduino Duemilanove.

josheeg

Post by josheeg »

some realy neat things only come in surface mount. also once you do a few soic 8's a 64 pin .5mm betweene pin centers QFP is not soo bad but if you use kicad to make your pcb make the traces longer so you have more area to touch with the iorn and a tiny bit of solder & solder paste.

troyml

Post by troyml »

I for one am beginning to prefer reasonable SMD construction. Many ham operators have successfully assembled the ATS series of transceiver from Steven Weber, KD1JV. I have one on my workbench waiting to go together right now. Unfortunately, the hardest part isn't the soldering, it is finding a free chunk of time.
Here's a link, the 3 series is no longer available, but the ATS-4 will be available near the end of the month.
http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/ATS3B/ats3b.HTM

incoherent

Post by incoherent »

josheeg wrote:some realy neat things only come in surface mount. also once you do a few soic 8's a 64 pin .5mm betweene pin centers QFP is not soo bad but if you use kicad to make your pcb make the traces longer so you have more area to touch with the iorn and a tiny bit of solder & solder paste.
josheeg,

I've done a lot of work lately with QFN (legless .5mm pitch)--the biggest challenge I've found with these chips is that the slightest touch on the "side" of the pad with a soldering iron will destroy the pin. I thought I was overheating the devices until I came across a TI appnote describing the problem. So, making the pads longer to avoid touching the chip is definitely good advice. As for me, I'm leaning toward LQFP where possible.

--incoherent

josheeg

Post by josheeg »

I did not know that happend I am using the ads1278 it has small leads 64 of them and they go all around the chip
it might be a LQFP.

the pads are a small amout wider than the feet & about 2mm long so it is a little exagerated but it is quite nice.

rj44319

Post by rj44319 »

I LOVE SMT stuff. If I cold get all my kits as SMT components I would love that. It adds to the challenge. Then again, I have accesses a dedicated system to do that sort of stuff (and rework).

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”