Selling sheilds

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
ziplock

Selling sheilds

Post by ziplock »

I'm thinking of selling my RFIDShield, and I have a bunch of questions.
For starters: the boards cost $26 including shipping when you buy from BatchPCB.

1) Should I sell it as a kit or pre-made?

2) How much should I sell for?

3) How should I ship?

4) How should I advertise?

magician13134

Re: Selling sheilds

Post by magician13134 »

You aren't planning on getting YOUR boards from batchPCB, are you? That's just for prototyping, not full orders. I would go to www.ourpcb.com for your PCBs, you may have to get 100, but you should be able to get them for $3-$4 each.
As for your questions about price and kits, what's on the RFIDShield? Is it a lot of tiny surface mount pieces, or just a few DIPs?
USPS first class in a bubble mailer will go anywhere in the world for ~$1.50

ziplock

Post by ziplock »

The sheild has male headers, an ID-12 or ID-20 RFID reader, a 220 Ohm resistor, and an LED. If I sell the boards fully assembled, I would probably assemble everything EXCEPT for a reader. Those readers cost $25+, so I would have to charge like $40 for one shield. If I went kit, I could include everything EXCEPT the reader.

Or, I could include a reader and charge an extra $30.

Should I sell with or without a reader?

Fjornir

Post by Fjornir »

I'd do like ladyada does with the GPS shields. Sell the main kit and the reader module separately.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”