component or at least svideo out?

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
richms

component or at least svideo out?

Post by richms »

Any way of getting something better then composite out of the ybox2? All the screens I have tried give shockign results on composite from anything I try (BANNED player, Sat box, PC)

I am keen to get one, but dont think I could live with dotcrawl flicking away in the corner of my eye all day while I work.

Otherwise VGA (640x480) would be sweet as for an alternative, and should be easier since there isnt a composite signal to generate even tho the refresh is twice as high. I have more spare VGA screens then video screens around.

adafruit

Re: component or at least svideo out?

Post by adafruit »

you can get Svideo out of a propeller chip no problem. theres lots of example schems and code. you'd have to swap out the tv code but i imagine it isnt too hard. might take some soldering too

MajorGrubert

Post by MajorGrubert »

A quick search about video generation with a Propeller chip should get you some ideas. There is an example of a circuit to output S-Video at the Propeller Handbook, a nice collection of designs for the Propellor by Jeff Ledger, a.k.a. OldBitCollector at the Parallax forums. You will need a little soldering, maybe some changes to the YBox2 board, but the modification seems to be simple. Note that the code mentioned at the Handbook uses four consecutive pins, the first three for the luminance (Y) signal and the fourth for chrominance (C). You can use pins 12, 13 and 14 for Y, the same ones already used for composite video, but you will need to disconnect the IR receiver in order to free pin 15 (a complete list of pin assignments for the YBox2 con be found in this thread).

VGA output is also possible, using the same circuit as the Propeller Demo Board. In this case, note that you will need a block of eight consecutive pins. I am considering doing this myself, moving the reset button from pin 16 to pin 24, in order to use pins 16-23 for VGA output.

richms

Post by richms »

MajorGrubert wrote:VGA output is also possible, using the same circuit as the Propeller Demo Board. In this case, note that you will need a block of eight consecutive pins. I am considering doing this myself, moving the reset button from pin 16 to pin 24, in order to use pins 16-23 for VGA output.
Ok, In the line of VGA I guess that 480p should be doable as component as well then. I get really bad flicker on anything less on both TV's I have tried things on. Makes my jakks pacific games unplayable IMO.

Wonder how long till someone makes a hack for HDMI out of something like this eh...

I have not had a play with a propeller at all, will prob get one to play with (a ybox2) after I have done the tweetawatt and a couple of other money sapping projects.

JuJuBee

Post by JuJuBee »

I think the ybox2 has a greater chance of survival if it had VGA output. I must admit, I do not have the time solely to do this, however, if we could pull or resources together and do this a group - it probably could get done in a weekend. Anyone know how to get a RSS feed widget?

JuJuBee

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

JuJuBee wrote:I think the ybox2 has a greater chance of survival if it had VGA output. I must admit, I do not have the time solely to do this, however, if we could pull or resources together and do this a group - it probably could get done in a weekend. Anyone know how to get a RSS feed widget?
if it had vga output someone would probably be posting up asking why it doesnt have NTSC :P
i have a "how to add vga" hack i did last weekend, its not particularly hard and i'll post it soon but the ybox2 will almost certainly never come with vga AND composite AND svideo AND audio etc.

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

JuJuBee wrote:I think the ybox2 has a greater chance of survival if it had VGA output. I must admit, I do not have the time solely to do this, however, if we could pull or resources together and do this a group - it probably could get done in a weekend. Anyone know how to get a RSS feed widget?

JuJuBee
Hopefully you put the extra header pins in and if so you can easily make a piggyback board.. I am in the midst of experimenting with a vga header, i just need to confirm that I can get it to run without the needed 5v pin used by some monitors.. but speaking with the person who developed the network drivers, he says that he never connedted that pin and it worked fine.. I'll keep all apprised with my success when I get a chance to test / fix / code..

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

ladyada wrote: if it had vga output someone would probably be posting up asking why it doesnt have NTSC :P
i have a "how to add vga" hack i did last weekend, its not particularly hard and i'll post it soon but the ybox2 will almost certainly never come with vga AND composite AND svideo AND audio etc.
no all of those at once are a waste, but having the option is nice.. If you do decide to make a v3.. I have a few other minor things that need a little bit of changing to be done..

If you want help testing your VGA hack let me know

JuJuBee

Post by JuJuBee »

Ladyada:

I watched your video on the Pay Phone hack. I am totally impressed with your knowledge and abilities :o ! If anyone could make an updated ybox2 w/VGA whether a V3 or V2 service pack 1, I know you would have a leg up on it and lead the pack. I am an Educational Technologist in the University - so I tinker on the board level side of things - but my strength is in the integration side of things that are tied to andragogy.

On the VGA hack - it would greatly broaden the feasibility of using this device. Composite is old school - and with the price of VGA displays dropping, I could see a huge opportunity for the VGA integration.

S-Video was a terrible idea when created - the connector was poorly designed and always has a mind of its own and "falls out".

I think new momentum could be created with this project having VGA output, even if it does cost more (I am really not interested in composite or S)

JuJuBee :D

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

Just a small thought.. if you where to add the VGA option instead of the composite.. an VGA to composite adapter could easily be made, all that would really need to be done was code changes..

JuJuBee

Post by JuJuBee »

That's right - I agree :) !

JuJuBee

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it IS open source and the schematic and board files are published. so you are free to make your own VGA-only ybox2. alternately you can just connect jumper wires to a VGA connector from the convenient headers, and be done with it

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

ladyada wrote:it IS open source and the schematic and board files are published. so you are free to make your own VGA-only ybox2. alternately you can just connect jumper wires to a VGA connector from the convenient headers, and be done with it
I agree.. thats why the piggyback option is the safest, that way the original unit is unchanged..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”