Building a Bridge

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cliff52

Building a Bridge

Post by cliff52 »

(edited) Okay, I wrote that way too complicated.
What I'm asking is, "What do I have to change to run propeller tutorials (based on propeller development boards) on the ybox2?"
If there's not a list, I'll make one.

[old text for reference: Forgive me if I've overlooked this, but what I'm looking for is a bridge from other Propeller Work to the Ybox.
I took Example01 here http://forums.parallax.com/forums/defau ... 5&m=113109, which is an excellent 'Blinking LED' program to get people started with the Propeller Development Kit (?). Anyway, it references an LED at port 'A16' - I'm assuming this means pin 16. I loaded the example into the Propeller Tool, followed Ladyada's instructions for compiling, saving, then loading the binary with curl.
Of course that doesn't do anything (visible), since the Ybox2 has no LED on pin 16. So, I edit the code to change the pin to number 9, the Ybox2 Blue LED, compile, save, load. Two good things happen: 1) The blue LED blinks 5 times, then goes on solid, which is at least kinda what I thought it would do; 2) A press on the reset button now does nothing, but if you cycle the power, the Ybox2 returns to getting a DHCP address (is this stage 1?), so I'm assuming the bootloader remains functional for even more dangerous experimenting.
I assume the reset button doesn't work since I haven't written any code to make it work? :^)
What would I have to do to 'hose' the bootloader?
Anyone have some more thoughts on this level experimenting? Any pins for which 'whatever you do, don't touch this one!!!' is a good rule?]

Ybox2 Rules!!!! Thanks to everyone who worked on it.

darco

Re: Building a Bridge

Post by darco »

I tried to make it as hard as possible to brick the device to the point where you need to buy a serial cable to revive it. That being said, it is still possible to do so.

The most straightforward way to bork the bootloader is to write a program which directly commands the EEPROM to write over the first part of the EEPROM, which is where the bootloader lives.

It is possible to enter in a bad LED configuration setting which will put it into a really bad state that will require you to nuke the settings before you can continue using the device. Don't worry, if you don't know what this is then you don't need to worry about it. I try to protect against this in later bootloader revisions.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”