TV-Text colors? and bootloader issue

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
InsanePyros

TV-Text colors? and bootloader issue

Post by InsanePyros »

Sorry to ask yet another question, but after a fair amount of searching I can not find any explanation of what values mean what colors. I understand about calling setcolors and pointing to the information in dat, but for the life of me I can not figure out what the values actually mean. Any help?

edit: also, would you have any idea why a Ybox would not be able to get an IP address in stage one but is able to in stage 2 (upgrading it)

edit2: Ok, now this is getting just weird. I installed a dhcp server on my computer to make sure the problem wasn't the router and it still doesn't work. However, it turns out that the dhcp server is giving the ybox an ip address and I can ping that address just fine. however, it still won't display the address or move on to the next step in the code. And because of the verify thing in the bootloader code I can't install the old bootloader to resolve the issue. another wierd thing. when booting in stage one the mac address that the dhcp server shows connecting is vastly different from the one displayed, but on stage two they match. As far as I know I did not touch any network code, only added functionality so that I could start stage 2 using a remote. Was the bootloader already using all the cogs? also, stage one and stage 2 are bieng asinged different IP addresses, probably because the dhcp server is seeing two different mac addresses.

adafruit

Re: TV-Text colors? and bootloader issue

Post by adafruit »

are you using an 'out of the box' ybox or did you burn your own bootloader onto a serial eeprom

InsanePyros

Post by InsanePyros »

I am using a bootloader I put on there myself. it is V1.1 plus a small addition I made so I could boot into stage2 with a sony remote. As far as I could tell I did not touch any of the internet code and it v1.1 worked fine before I changed it.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm, the mac address shouldnt be changing. it should be written once in the eeprom and thats it. i wonder if you're having that 'bootloader not writing to eeprom' problem. look around the forum, i know other people discussed it

InsanePyros

Post by InsanePyros »

edit: after reviewing the bootloader source I have determined that the description below does not describe the error. If it did the ybox would display "First Boot" which it does not. I may fix the eeprom write problem anyway, but there is a different reason for the inconsistent mac address. Still looking for advice, still need to build a programing cable.

ok, here is what I think is happening now, tell me if it makes sense. I'm leaving in a moment so I won't be able to check the source against my description. Because I am updating the bootloader it decided it is in the first run and generates a new mac address. This is the address it sends to the dhcp server. It then tries to write to the eeprom the new mac address but it has this cannot write to eeprom error you mentioned but I havn't had time to look at. Then when the mac address is displayed it reads the old mac address and it cannot connect because the ybox still thinks its mac address is the old one in the eeprom but the dhcp server is giving an IP address for the new mac address. It still works in stage2 because it is not generating a new mac address. Does this description fit with the code and the eeprom writing error you mentioned?

edit2: still confused as hell about what went wrong, but for some reason a full reset fixed the problem. Bought the FTDI cable just in case and bought a boarduino for easy prototyping stuff while I was at it. Still curious about the TV-Text colors but I realized that the answer is probably somewhere on the propeller forums since TV_Text isn't exclusive to the Ybox.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

theres a color table that you load in. i think theres one in tv_text but theres also a way to load it into memory. the colors are indexed by number theres 7 or 8? and each one is identified in Hue and Saturation NOT RGB!

InsanePyros

Post by InsanePyros »

Thanks for the response, but I still have more color questions and more bootloader issues :shock: . I had already figured out much of what you said in the previous post, but the terms hue and saturation are new to me. Both hue and saturation are stored in a single byte and I can not figure out in what format. Any idea on that or have you not touched that code before?

Also, I continue to have bootloader issues. a full reset seems to fix the issues, but only for one boot. Once the system is rebooted the old issues start again. The bootloader sends a mac address to the dhcp server different from the one displayed on screen. However, I did notice that this weird mac address is consistent. Thinking this might be the eeprom write error I tried connecting pin 7 on the eeprom to a pin on the other side of the chip as suggested in the errata. either I did something wrong or I guessed wrong what a haywire is because the bootloader got majorly corrupted and/or I fried the eeprom. I can get stage2 to boot by holding the tact switch for ~10 seconds while the ybox boots and it works fine, but the bootloader is stuck in PAL mode and won't respond to any other input from the tact switch. Luckily I ordered a FTDI cable from you, but I am having crazy issues with my board now.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i think they are stored 4 bits each of hue & sat but i dont remember. you should look at the parallax forums they probably have lots of info about that module cause they wrote it :)

MajorGrubert

TV-Text color reference

Post by MajorGrubert »

@InsanePyros I was having a hard time trying to understand the way you select colors with the TV driver. Looking at the Propeller forums I found a link to Ray's logic page about TV colors, that includes a nice annotated screenshot of the output from Graphics_Palette.spin. You can use it as a quick reference to find color values. You can also compile and run Graphics_Palette.spin, so you can check how each color will actually look on your TV set.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

huh! that is useful. i wish that had been around when i was hacking the kit :)

InsanePyros

Post by InsanePyros »

Finally, after 10 days all my answers have come in. I reprogrammed the bootloader using a modified ftdi cable and it works fine. And MajorGrubert answered my questions about the TV_test colors. Ladyada I noticed you even put a link about the colors on the ybox web-page. Thanks everyone.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”