Any new development..

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
abysmal

Any new development..

Post by abysmal »

What are the chances of a YBOX3.. with some extra features, like an sd card and some video out options?

adafruit

Re: Any new development..

Post by adafruit »

pretty slim... there isnt even that much demand for ybox2 :D
but all the pins are broken out. you can pretty easily draw wires out to connect SD cards, S-Vid etc!

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

Thats a shame there isn't any demand, It really is a great little unit and expandable too, I guess I'll just have to play with it myself.. I wish making a pcboard wasn't so expensive, else I'd do my own..

darco

Post by darco »

I think the most that may happen is some minor revisions to the PCB (suggestions welcome, but there are a lot of PCBs to go before Limor runs out as far as I know). As for a ybox3... well... It's like Limor said.

I really think the thing that is hurting the ybox2 the most at the moment is the lack of some really well-polished widgets. I unfortunately I just haven't had the time recently to hack more on this thing.

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

darco wrote:I think the most that may happen is some minor revisions to the PCB (suggestions welcome, but there are a lot of PCBs to go before Limor runs out as far as I know). As for a ybox3... well... It's like Limor said.

I really think the thing that is hurting the ybox2 the most at the moment is the lack of some really well-polished widgets. I unfortunately I just haven't had the time recently to hack more on this thing.

3 Simple things..

- Free up the unused pins on the ethernet chip ( the WOL isn't used and PIN7 can be replaced with a 25 mhz crystal )
- add an sd card interface
- and I forget the third

Abysmal

boerner

Post by boerner »

Well, I know everyone is busy, as darco said, but I'll throw this out there...

I do not posses the programming skills to do anything radical with the ybox2, but am not opposed to funding some development of widgets.

I would throw some bucks in someones PayPal account right now to upload a .bin of a working Twitter app. I think someone may have fixed the app, but may not have published a .bin.

I think a poll for new app ideas with a bounty on each would work, for example.

Start a new thread with a poll for ideas/suggestions for new apps or mods of existing ones.

Once you vote in the poll, you drop an amount in a PayPal account to the developer. Once the target total has been reached, the app gets done.

If for whatever reason that app never materializes, the money just gets sent back.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Flames?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i dont have a problem working on basic widgets. i have to go back and fix the twitter one of course
but if people post up good ideas, that will help!

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

I plan on doing some dev ( time permitting ) and I need some Ideas, I seen an email checker that I was going to attempt to fix and update, I have yet to build my kit, I just got it but haven't had a chance to get it built, its killing me not to be able to play..

Any widget suggestions?

- E-mail Monitor
- RSS Feeds
- Web Server using an sd card

Abysmal

boerner

Post by boerner »

Well, I don't know if this would be possible, but...

How about a dedicated receiver/logger for a Tweet-A-Watt? If it is possible to add an SD card for storage, would the propeller have the power to handle receiving and logging the data?

The perfect combo would be to add an Xbee to the mix as well, however if memory serves someone already asked about adding an Xbee and ladyada indicated it would be a decent amount of work.

The ultimate combo would be to take that total package an integrate a small flat panel. Make the back magnetic and stick it on the fridge so everyone sees whats going on...

More realistically, how about a widget that can track packages sent via UPS or FedEx? The web interface would just ask for a tracking number and at an interval set by the user would go out and query the respective web site and display the results. The display on the ybox2 would look very similar to the Twitter widget I assume. That way when I am anxiously awaiting my adafruit deliveries, I don't have to keep hitting refresh :-)

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

If you looking for a display.. www.brilldea.com has a 3 inch lcd 320x240 with the composite interface to just plug into your ybox2.. I'm waiting for min on this too.. or you could pick up an lcd character display 4x20 chars for about the same price..

As for the xbee, go check out the propeller forums at parallax.. i seen some stuff there.. I'm still not sure what an xbee is exactly.. a wireless something-or-other.. wiki time..

Abysmal..

fwiw.. lucky for me my wife has already told me she is tired and has a headache, so thats my in to build my kit tonight.. hahahaha

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

Tweet-A-Watt .. OK.. someone on the propeller forums is doing almost the same thing.. not to twitter but to a webserver.. the same guy who sells the above mentioned lcd units..

JuJuBee

Post by JuJuBee »

Hey Guys - I just found the ybox2 on the web over the weekend. This thing is great!! I plan on building one - and testing for use in an educational setting.

The post about a widget for RSS Feeds would be awesome. Any thoughts concerning hacking the Twitter widget and redirecting to a feed or coding one from scratch?

JuJuBee :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the only reason i didnt go with the tweet-a-watt for the ybox is that the asus router does a terrific job of it already!

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

ladyada wrote:the only reason i didnt go with the tweet-a-watt for the ybox is that the asus router does a terrific job of it already!
how??? info please

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”