irc for YBox2- Project

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

Re: irc for YBox2- Project

Post by adafruit »

Abysmal wrote:
ladyada wrote:
harrison wrote:
There was a typo in the contest version of propirc which broke the 25MHz freq generator. I didn't catch it until I tried to run the stack on the ybox2...

To fix it, open up driver_enc28j60.spin and change:

Code: Select all

enc_freq = 5_000_000
to

Code: Select all

enc_freq = 25_000_000
After fixing that you should be able to run the code with minimal changes (you don't have to disable the webserver or the software rtc).
oh ok. to be honest i didnt look in the enc driver and i assumed there were not enough cogs to generate a 25mhz clock (theres a crystal in the schematic posted)

will check it out soon!
The crystal is for the propeller itself.. then nic chip needs a 25 mhz crystal that is simulated via pin 7 on the prop via code..
you may want to check out harrisons schematic
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downl ... ematic.pdf

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

I have.. I've built 3 interfaces on top of the ybox2.. the 25 mhz crystal frees up an extra pin on the propeller and saves program/cog space..

justamar

Post by justamar »

Hey guys thanks for the help! and about the 25 mhz crystal? Should i replace the 5mhz one that i got with the order that i recieved today? Parralex has EXTREMELY fast shipping. USPS first class was orderded on the 4th and I got it in the mail today. The fastest shipping i ever got for $0.59. Next step is to order all the other parts. You know what would be cool if there was a way to share the checkout with other people, at sites like mouser, and digikey that way the ordering process can go alot faster. :lol:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Abysmal wrote:I have.. I've built 3 interfaces on top of the ybox2.. the 25 mhz crystal frees up an extra pin on the propeller and saves program/cog space..
i think we're not communicating well :lol:

when i said "to be honest i didnt look in the enc driver and i assumed there were not enough cogs to generate a 25mhz clock (theres a crystal in the schematic posted)"
i meant that i thought that the reason there was a 25mhz crystal in the schematic (in addition to the standard 5mhz)
harrison seems to be implying that propirc can still generate said 25mhz thus making it so that i dont have to disable the webserver in order to free up another cog

or am -i- confused???

harrison

Post by harrison »

ladyada wrote:harrison seems to be implying that propirc can still generate said 25mhz thus making it so that i dont have to disable the webserver in order to free up another cog
That is correct. The driver_enc28j60.spin object that propirc uses can generate the 25MHz clock required by the enc28j60. There was just a typo in the contest version that caused it to generate the wrong frequency.

My custom board uses a 25MHz xtal, which is why it was in the schematic. You could easily omit the xtal and let the propeller generate the clock.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

OK! at least that is all clear and its good because that means we can keep the webserver. I'll probably look at using TV instead of VGA out.
harrison, do you know if there's -any- ram left? do you happen to know if the VGA library uses more RAM than TV?

i thought it would be so rad if it could store a backlog of messages, yknow so one can scroll up in the 'history' using the arrow keys :)

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

The VGA does use more memory, both in resources and code ..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”