Having troubles understanding YBOX2 reloading.

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
neoteric

Having troubles understanding YBOX2 reloading.

Post by neoteric »

I recently bought and built the ybox2, and it worked fine. That is, it booted, and I could access via browser.

However, I could not figure out how to load the widgets, and now it does not seem to be working at all. I have a propplug, and reloaded the bootloader to eeprom. But I still cannot get anything to work. I can run the Spin compiler, and load programs to both eeprom and ram. However, I cant figure out from reading the forums what I load to where, and how to test it.

I do not get a link on my router, and the LED and RCA video do not display anything, but I am able to load programs into it (apparently) via the prop plug. Anyone please guide me on how to load the bootloader and such again. Thanks so much.

PS, I am a beginner, but not a complete NOOB. I searched this forum and the web, and am just missing the instructions somehow....

adafruit

Re: Having troubles understanding YBOX2 reloading.

Post by adafruit »

ok i really have to ask a question

why do people who buy the kit program in the bootloader?

its already on there!

this -really- confuses me

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

As I said, it was working fine. However, it now is not-after I tried to upload a widget to it. I did not break it by uploading the bootloader, and was aware it was already on there. But I think I may have screwed it up while trying to load the widget.

I THEN tried to reload the bootloader and all back on to it, because it is NOT working at all.

I simply was trying to get it back to its original state, via propplug, and cannot understand the steps. Nothing is working, no lights, no video, can't get a link. All i can do is get it to take a program from the SPIN ide.

Can anyone help me please. I researched, read the posts on the forums. Is there not a way to use the propplug to reinstall everything?

PS, for ladyada - Why would you respond in the manner you did? I have been a good customer, and a good referrer to others, for a few different items of yours. This is the first time I have ever asked a question. Why weren't you more helpful?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

my response isnt intended to be mean, or accusatory & im sorry if it sounded that way
its more of me being confused! theres been 3 people with the same issue in a month, it makes me think something is wrong with my instructions :)
it seems like yboxen work pretty well and then when the bootloader gets re-loaded on things go 'south'. i dont think there's ever a reason to reload the bootloader unless its someone who wants to do 'more' after getting it all working
i wonder if i should put a warning not to do this :?

anyways so you -can- send new files to it via the propplug right? but when you do that the LED doesnt light up, no beeping, nothing? What bootloader files did you use to send a new bootloader
for future reference, its pretty much not possible to 'screw up' the bootloader by loading widgets

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

Sorry for the delay in my response, real life issues delayed me getting back to this. Nonetheless...

I can send new files to it via the propplug, yes. That is, the Parallax ide shows that it is being loaded on there. (I have programmed non YBOX propellers, so I can recognize that it appears to be taking it....)

I loaded the bootloader.spin file, located here: http://svn.deepdarc.com/code/ybox2/trunk/firmware/

But nothing else happens. No sound, no led, no link on router, nada....

PS, I have also tried just holding reset down for a long period, to reset, but nothing happens there. Any ideas on how I get it back to normal?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well, lets reduce complexity. gently remove the ENC28J chip and dont plug in anything into the ethernet
if you send it other spin programs, even ones that just blink the LED, does it ever do anything? dont forget to remove the prop plug and remember it takes a couple seconds for programs to start sometimes

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

Well, this is strange. Took out the ENC28J. The program appears to load into both eeprom and ram.
LED will not light.

Voltage on power regulator reads: 3.29 and 5.7

Code: Select all

'
'                                   ONE LED BLINKS FIVE TIMES
'**************************************************************************************
'IMPORTANT:  Please run this code and attempt to understand it before advancing to
'            Example02, Example03, etc.  
'**************************************************************************************
'DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Very easy
'
'Submitted by Dave Scanlan, March 15, 2006
'File: FewerComments.spin                  
'CORRECT OUTPUT: The LED at port A16 will blink every second, five times.
'
CON
  _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x      
  _xinfreq = 5_000_000             
  High = 1                         
  Low  = 0                         
  Out = %1                         
' 
VAR
  Byte Pin                         
' 
PUB Start                                                                                                                       
  BlinkingLED                      
'                                                                                                                               
PRI BlinkingLED                    
  Pin := 11                                                                                             
  DirA[Pin] := Out                 
  Repeat 50                        
    OutA[Pin] := High         'LED ON                                           
    WaitCnt(40_000_000 + Cnt) 'ONE-HALF SECOND WAIT
    OutA[Pin] := Low          'LED OFF
    WaitCnt(40_000_000 + Cnt) 'ONE-HALF SECOND WAIT
'
'INDENTION IS IMPORTANT IN SPIN: There are no ENDIFs, END REPEATs, END SUB, etc.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

what happens when you try the other LED pins?

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

OK, thanks for the help, but I am giving up for now. Even though the unit worked originally, something happened along the way.

No LEDs will light. Now it wont even program. I replaced the Propeller, and still no joy. Wont even program. So something got messed up.

My plan is to buy another ybox kit, build it, and I'll repair this one from that. I am sure I must have done something.

So THANKS for the help, and I'll check in later with progress on that. As a NOOB, I really want to try to figure this out from a learning experience. I think that might be a good way. Thanks again.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm, you should post a photo of the top and bottom of your kit.
also check your power supply, maybe thats being flaky?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”