Ideal LCD / Getting started by sourcing my own parts

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
predatorcoder

Ideal LCD / Getting started by sourcing my own parts

Post by predatorcoder »

This looks like a fun little project. Me being me, of course, I want to do it 100% SMT and see if it can be crammed into something... Given that the ENC28J60 and Propeller are both available in QFN packages, and Microchip makes a 64 kbit EEPROM in DFN package, I would think it could be put on a PCB not much larger than the Ethernet jack itself. (SMT packages are just so fast and easy to work with compared to thru-hole when you've got hot air - sometimes I'm surprised more people don't use it - SMT is nothing to be scared of... contrary to popular belief...). Some questions:

1. I am not at all familiar with Propeller architecture/chip (my experience lies mainly with AVR and PIC). Am I correct in saying that all that is necessary to get started is to load the bootloader into external EEPROM? Can a raw binary image be compiled from source? (At which point it is easy enough to download into EEPROM myself without a PropPlug - I2C EEPROMs are not hard to work with).

2. Any suggestions on a good, cheap LCD to go with this? I want to be a dedicated unit by my bedside. If it's cheap enough I'll build another one for my desk. Basically I want big enough to read the text on-screen, but otherwise as small/cheap as possible. A little space inside to squeeze the YBox2 PCB would be a bonus. The major hurdle I foresee there would be getting the Ethernet jack fitting decently. If the LCD has DC in as well, I could probably just tap that for power. It would become an LCD with an Ethernet jack. :)

irritantno9

Dedicated LCD

Post by irritantno9 »

Might want to look at Chumby.
Beauty of this for me is that the ybox2 can be modulated or piped into an unused Aux video so that you can bring it up as a PIP window.

Chumby is, if I'm not mistaken, is built to be hacked?

predatorcoder

Post by predatorcoder »

This is true - Chumby can also be modified/hacked. So why don't we all forget this kit and get Chumbys instead? ;)

For me this would just be a fun exercise reworking the board for small SMT size and getting some functionality for $15. Finding a small, compact display to go with it would be really nice though.

I like the proposed use of picture-in-picture! That's pretty sweet. Although I don't have an LCD TV to use it with.

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

irritant#9,

uhh... you can change your avatar if you like... :)

predatorcoder

Post by predatorcoder »

I just found this on Flickr for the LCD... http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladyada/22 ... 958442813/
i got like 5 of these for $5/ea at toysrus when they went on clearance. i should have bought all of them :(
OK Ladyada... what are those? Must find! Very cheap!! That's just disgusting... I would have bought every last one of those. Surely they can be obtained similarly on eBay...

irritantno9

PIP DISPLAY

Post by irritantno9 »

My old JVC isn't LCD.
Big monster CRT.

I didn;t spend all that time resizing it just to change it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”