help!!!!!!!

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mccurry

help!!!!!!!

Post by mccurry »

I just built the ybox and it is not powering up, I think the voltage regulator if fried. I accidentally put 9vac in instead of DC, can I just put a new voltage regulator in? Please help....

update:
when I checked voltage like on the make it page I get .977 instead of 3.... :shock:

mccurry

also

Post by mccurry »

could I use something like

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

? Its a +5v regulator. Or do I have to order one?

predatorcoder

Post by predatorcoder »

+5V regulator is unacceptable, you will fry everything. E.g. the ENC28J60 is only rated for operation at 3.3V.

If the circuit was built correctly it will not fry with VAC input because diode D1 will block negative voltages. However the lack of a full bridge rectifier and bulk capacitor means that the supply will drop out and so you would be in continual reset.

However, LD1117 is maximum rated for up to 15 VDC input. If the adapter gave 11.3 VAC (e.g. variations in mains voltage) then this would likely be reached.

Get a AC/DC adapter and try it out. Measure the input and output voltages on regulator IC5.

mccurry

help

Post by mccurry »

Ok, I dont know how to do that, I am a newb, if you tell me where to on a pic or something I can. I assembled this correctly, that I am pretty good at. Tell me where to check the voltages and I will. I have a variable DC pwr supply set to 9v(11.3 too) on it atm. and no sound or vid...

predatorcoder

Post by predatorcoder »

Look at the schematic for the ybox2, you should be able to find IC5. If you look at the board design, you should see where IC5 is physically placed.

The next step is look up the datasheet for IC5. Google is your friend here. Alternatively Ladyada is good about this sort of thing, there should be a link to the datasheet from her parts list for the project.

In the datasheet you will see one pin is input voltage, one is ground, one is output voltage. Now you know what the physical pins are. Use a voltmeter. Put the black probe (ground) on the ground pin of IC5. Now use the red probe to check input voltage and output voltage pins. One should be 3.3 volts and the other one should be higher, presumably closely related to the voltage from your variable power supply.

FYI the regulator will take any voltage > 4.4 volts and always output a constant 3.3 volts. This particular type is known as a linear regulator and they're cheap and easy to use. Alternative is a switching regulator which is much more flexible and efficient but also a lot more expensive and complicated.

I can't give you pics because I have no ybox2. ;)

mccurry

ok almost got it

Post by mccurry »

I am good now I am getting a bootloader but it just says dhcp, not getting an IP I dont think, i have it plugged into the router, It has a dhcp server running so it should grab one... any ideas?

predatorcoder

Post by predatorcoder »

Is the router illuminating a link light when the device is plugged in?

mccurry

router

Post by mccurry »

yeah it is lit up but it just says dhcp on the screen

but its not showing up on DHCP Clients Table....

mccurry

Beeps

Post by mccurry »

I plugged it in direct with out router and got 5 beeps and then a longer tone. no change on screen.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”