It's alive!

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
daveparker

It's alive!

Post by daveparker »

I just finished the soldering together my ybox2 and got it running with minimal fuss. The only issue I had was with the tri-color LED. There was a metal hanging chad (not solder) shorting the red cathode to the common anode (see pic). I'm glad the current-limiting resistor was there. After snapping the bit of metal off, the LED works fine...apart from the green & blue being reversed....which I read is a known feature.

I'll attempt to drill out the Altoids tin next, after a trip to the hardware store to get a couple drill bits for the video and power holes.

I've been looking through and fiddling with some of the widget code...mainly the twitwidget to get a feel for spin. I'm going to try writing a Google News widget to display the recent top stories from the RSS feed. It would also be cool to get the apple remote working as an input device...but I'll leave that until later after I've got a better handle on the language. I've been running the standalone Propellent.exe via wine on a macbook pro, which seems to work well enough.

Anyhow, greetings!

darco

Re: It's alive!

Post by darco »

Great to hear! Welcome to the cool club!

The whole green vs. blue issue should be fixed with the latest bootloader (But see my warnings), or any widgets that you build from the firmware subversion repository.

I have code for both reading and transmitting sony remote codes in the repository. I'm using the later for controlling the sony devices in my home theater setup... ^_^

As for drilling the tin, several months ago I took a lot of pictures while I was drilling one for a ybox2. I intended to write up a formal drill tutorial, but never quite got around to it... But the pictures are (fairly) informative nonetheless. I'd recommend having a close look at them before drilling: http://www.deepdarc.com/module/album/?prnt=48

daveparker

Re: It's alive!

Post by daveparker »

Thanks for sharing the photos of drilling out the Altoids tin. I've successfully mounted my ybox in a tin:

http://picasaweb.google.com/daveparker/Ybox2

The only mod I made was to use a fake cardboard credit-card (like the ones you get in junk mail) underneath the board as the corrugated cardboard seemed too thick.

Oh, I fixed my LED problem with the following config code 0a0b0901. I'd messed with it previously and the 1.1a firmware didn't seem to correct the problem on its own.

Ok, back to coding....

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”