Datalogger Question

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gregario

Datalogger Question

Post by gregario »

Hi all,

Apologies for this very simple question but I need a good simple arduino based data logger so I decided to order one of the datalogger shields as it will work well with my setup.

What I want to do is measure the power output of a solar panel over a day, so what I think would be the easiest would be to measure the voltage coming out of the panel and then measure the voltage drop across a good tolerance resistor to get the current, then I'd have the power output, would that be the easiest way?

The problem is the inputs from the arduino won't be able to take the 10W or so coming out of the panel and I want to charge a battery with the output, so would a voltage divider do the trick? If so should I just make one myself or are there chips I can buy that can do the job better?

Apologies again but I'm pretty new to all this so I thought there would be no harm in asking!

Thanks,
Greg.

adafruit

Re: Datalogger Question

Post by adafruit »

yes a voltage divider will work well.

gregario

Re: Datalogger Question

Post by gregario »

I posted a fresh question today and had a look through my old comments. Thought I would share the outcome of using those dataloggers! Its funny to look back over old questions and see where you were getting stuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lvHSlzClMI
The video was for a comparative multi axis solar tracker to see relative benefits.
I think there were 3 arduinos and 2 dataloggers in that build if I remember correctly.

I suppose this is a general thanks for all the excellent products you guys put out!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”