Data Logger shield newbie

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bohica

Data Logger shield newbie

Post by bohica »

Just got hold of my data logger shield for Christmas and soldered it up today. The RTC and SD functionality seem to be working fine. However, I have some questions and observations:
  • when should I see the green/red LEDs light? I am writing a s small line (30 or so chrs) to a file then calling sync() every minute. Is this sufficient to see the green LED light? I've tested the LEDs and they are soldered in the correct way around but I don't see them light.
  • annoyingly the kit comes with the header pins to connect the data logger to the arduino but no female parts to mirror the connectors on the arduino. As my project is built on breadboard I need to connect wires from the breadboard to the arduino and since plugging the data logger in there is no way to do this. For now I've soldered a few IC female strip sockets in to facilitate this until I can get the correct female sockets. What has anyone else done?
  • What does PgmPrint do? The error_P function in the examples is commented as "store errors in flash to save RAM". What does this mean and how do I access the errors?
Thanks

Martin

mtbf0

Re: Data Logger shield newbie

Post by mtbf0 »

bohica wrote:annoyingly the kit comes with the header pins to connect the data logger to the arduino but no female parts to mirror the connectors on the arduino. As my project is built on breadboard I need to connect wires from the breadboard to the arduino and since plugging the data logger in there is no way to do this. For now I've soldered a few IC female strip sockets in to facilitate this until I can get the correct female sockets. What has anyone else done?
stacking headers.
bohica wrote:What does PgmPrint do? The error_P function in the examples is commented as "store errors in flash to save RAM". What does this mean and how do I access the errors?
when you power up your arduino string constants, (like, for instance, error messages), are copied into ram which is a pretty limited resource. sometimes it's better to have such things left in flash, but then you need something other than Serial.print, (which prints from ram), to copy them to uart in order to print them out. something like PgmPrint.

bohica

Re: Data Logger shield newbie

Post by bohica »

The stacking headers link is a good one - thanks.

I'm still not sure I understand you description of PgmPrint but I'm working on it.

Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”