Ethernet shield connector too tall

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kentsor

Ethernet shield connector too tall

Post by kentsor »

I'm finding that the ethernet connector on the Arduino ETHShield interferes with other shields mounted on top of it. The connector itself is 0.5" tall, and shields like the Adafruit log shield uses connector pins that are 0.5" long in total meaning it will not fit above the ethernet connector.

The same size pins are used on the protoshield and other so I'd assume this is basically a problem with all shields that doesn't use the same, extra-long wirewrap headers that the ETHShield uses.

I just need the RTC from the log shield. The rest of the logshield is not populated, so I might resort so making a cutout where the ethernet connector sits.

I also considered making my own little shield from some prototype board and put the RTC there, but I discovered that the gap between the two sections of digital pins is not a standard 0.1". sigh. The analog side gap is fine.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ethernet shield connector too tall

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The stacking headers have longer pins for a bit more room. But if you only need the RTC, there is the DS1307 RTC breakout board that can be plugged directly into analog pins 2-5. (Scroll down about 3/4) http://www.ladyada.net/learn/breakoutpl ... 07rtc.html

kentsor

Post by kentsor »

I'd rather keep the shield form factor. It would be convenient if you could stock the wire wrap headers for just such an occasion. Please let me know if that will be possible, and when they will be in. I'll need some more Arduios and protoshields etc. and will prefer not to pay shipping to multiple vendors.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”