arduino ethernet and linux server

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joachim

arduino ethernet and linux server

Post by joachim »

Hi all,

I have an arduino which is set up to listen for a (float) variable from my ubuntu server, process it, and post to pacube. I have tried using the pachube get and put, but I would need to separate these, and I could probably just as easily take the variable from my linux server directly. That way my arduino code would be easier to handle and not on the edge of memory lapse, since I would not need to parse the pachube get request response. But how do I do that on the linux and arduino side? I was thinking I could use some sort of ethernet serial connection, not having to go through telnet or anything. The adruino should preferably only have to listen to traffic on the ethernet port (the one from the server) and from there I can manage. But what should i write in the bash script to send it to the arduino ip?

Any ideas?

Franklin97355

Re: arduino ethernet and linux server

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'm not sure I understand. You have an internet connected server that generates a float and passes it to an arduino for processing and posting? Why?

joachim

Re: arduino ethernet and linux server

Post by joachim »

It's tempting to respond "why not". The server listens for items on a specific google calendar, in order to tell the arduino to switch a relay. The arduino also monitors the temperatures in the rooms, and posts the float (economy mode in degrees or 0 for comfort mode) plus temperatures to pachube for overview and to see that the system works. I got it working (sort of) late last night, but I'm now having trouble listening both to incoming ethernet and newsoftserial.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”