Adafruit Wave Shield Kit - Serious problems occurred

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
engineerstudent

Adafruit Wave Shield Kit - Serious problems occurred

Post by engineerstudent »

Hello!

I need seriously help and assistance with my Arduino MEGA and the Adafruit Wave Shield Kit.

I bought these products few weeks ago from a local finnish importer and since then, I have been working on with them in order to get them working.

I have no previous experience with Arduino, but I am quite advanced with AVR-microcontrollers and rather capable in programming with C when it comes to the CodevisionAVR and AVRstudio as a development platform. My goal with Arduino MEGA and Adafruit Wave Shield Kit is to achieve a sort of "black box", which would just simply play a certain wavefile, whenever a certain char-type variable is sent to Arduino via RS232-bus by a separate AVR-controller, of which I maintain myself.

That being my final goal, so far I would be satisfied if I would get the Wave Shield Kit to operate in the first place. My problem is that I can´t upload a "Digital audio player"-scetch into Arduino MEGA. The Arduino0022 (compiler) informs me, that the files called FatReader.h and SdReader.h are missing ("No such file or directory")

These files in fact do exist. I can see by my windows explorer, that they are included in the folder named daphc, which I have created for the project files. These files, including the WaveHC-library, I have obtained from the Wave-Shield-examples-page (http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/examples.html)

My Arduino-development-board is of type ArduinoMEGA, it has a Atmega1280-AVR-microcontroller. The version of my Arduino-compiler(I suppose it can be called compiler) is 0022. The version of my Adafruit Wave Shield kit Version 1.1.

I have taken care of all the actions which I know are required for the correct operation of Arduino and Wave Shield Kit. The device driver is installed on my laptop, the correct COM-port (COM9) is selected and I have managed to upload a Blink-example into Arduino in order to prove, that the USB-interface between my laptop and Arduino MEGA is correctly set.

I have also already downloaded and installed iTunes on my laptop and I have converted some MP3-files into 22 kHz 12-bit wave-files and saved them into FAT-formatted 2GB SD-card in order to play them with Adafruit Wave Shield kit, when the time comes.

I have also come face to face with and accepted the fact, that Wave Shield Kit seems to be not directly compatible with Arduino MEGA, as there are few minor changes needed to do to it on the hardware level. The SPI-bus-pins need to be relocated and I will do this as soon as possible. This came to my knowledge from this very same forum, from the following address:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10939

This flaw in the compatibility between Arduino MEGA and Adafruit Wave Shield Kit still does not explain my problems with the compiler. Surely the compiler should ignore this and just do it´s job.

I really need assistance with my situation now. I can´t understand, what have I done wrong or what have I left undone and I´m about to get quite frustrated. As previously mentioned, the compiler gives me two error-messagers concerning FatReader.h- and SdReader-files, claiming, that they don´t exist, but as I can see that they do, I don´t know, how to proceed.

Please help me as soon as possible. All of this is about a researchproject of my university of applied sciences. Also, please excuse possible mistakes with grammar. My native language is finnish.

adafruit

Re: Adafruit Wave Shield Kit - Serious problems occurred

Post by adafruit »

the wave shield is not directly compatible with the mega but some people have posted up in the shields forum how to wire it so that it will work (you need to jumper the SD card pins and edit the library)
you also need to install your libraries correctly. read our library installation tutorial
http://www.ladyada.net/library/arduino/libraries.html

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”