SD shield with ProMini?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andywatson

SD shield with ProMini?

Post by andywatson »

I'd like to use a 5v Pro Mini board as the main mcu and write the data to the adafruit SD shield. Would that be a fairly easy thing to implement?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: SD shield with ProMini?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

All the signals are there. But you'll have to wire everything by hand since the pro-mini does not have the standard Arduino form-factor.

If space is tight enough to require a Mini, you might also consider this option for the SD: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=254

andywatson

Post by andywatson »

I saw those small card readers, but I also need a RTC, and space isn't an issue, so I'm fine using the shield. So I can simply connect the shield to the mini's D10-13 and A4-5 pins, along with 5v and gnd? I got your fridge-temp-light-datalogger code to work on my uno with the shield. Will that code work on the pro mini without any changes, assuming I wire all the pins to the correct places?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, assuming you are talking about the 5v version. That should be functionally identical to a Duemilanove (except for the voltage regulator and on-board USB/serial). The 3.3v version is both slower and lacks the 5v supply needed by the RTC.

andywatson

Post by andywatson »

It works! The pro mini successfully writes data to the SD card and only draws 0.7ma when sleeping. I removed the pro mini's red led that's always on and now the power is at 0.33ma, so this is a definite improvement over the Uno's sleeping current draw.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”