GPS serial monitor no data

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wouter

GPS serial monitor no data

Post by wouter »

Hi there,

I checked the forums first but could not find any answers there.
I have successfully connected my GPS-shield(v1.0) to my arduino (duemilanove), I followed all the steps up till here http://ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/gpstest.html I downloaded the library and copied the sketch but in the serial monitor it only shows this:
GPS parser

read:
So, how do I get the GPS data?
I don't use an SD card, I only want to use real-live data. But at the end of the page it says this is enough if you don't want to log any data so I guess this has nothing to do with my problem.

Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: GPS serial monitor no data

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You were able to talk to the GPS module directly from your computer? http://ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/directconnect.html

wouter

Post by wouter »

No, haven't tried that, but I don't have an FTDI cable. Just a few minutes ago I recieved something, but it was all jibberish, so I checked all the other bauds and there was also jibberish (but much less) and then I returned to the good baud (4800) and I didn't get anything again (except for the previously mentioned "GPS parser read:"). So the problem has shifted a little bit, assuming I can get a good signal again, how do I get from the jibberish to the usefull data?

adafruit_support_bill

No, haven't tried that, but I don't have an FTDI cable.
You can try "Option #2" using your Duemilanove.
Just a few minutes ago I recieved something, but it was all jibberish,
What GPS module are you using? How do you have it configured?
It could be a baud rate problem, or your module could be putting out something other than NMEA formatted data.

wouter

Post by wouter »

I use the gps-shield (v1.0) from adafruit with the EM-406A GPS module. What do you mean with how it is configured? I followed the instructions here: http://ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/solder_v10.html and then connected using option 2 on: http://ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/directconnect.html and the light on the GPS module worked. When I connect to my computer and watch the serial monitor it displays the following:
Binary sketch size: 7412 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

And then, when I follow http://ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/gpstest.html and put the ATMEGA328 back on my arduino and install the library and use that sketch and go outside, with the following baud rates I get the following results:

300:
1200: =ë-6
2400: „¥¤C
4800:GPS parser

read:
9600: ~°fafÀøæøfÃøf BANNED øfx3ðxÃ?`þ
14400: üüààþàüÿüààààüàðàà
19200: øxxÿÀx<xxàxüx<øxÀx<ÿxxxüx<øxxþxÀø
28800: ààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààà
38400:
57600:
115200:

adafruit_support_bill

When I connect to my computer and watch the serial monitor it displays the following:
Binary sketch size: 7412 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
That's not serial monitor output. With Option 2, the Atmega chip is removed from the Arduino and you won't be able to download a sketch. You just want to open the serial monitor to see what the GPS module is sending.

wouter

Post by wouter »

Yeah I know that, should have mentioned it a bit more specific, the first output is not serial monitor, and I cannot upload the sketch because the atmega isn't there, just like you say.
The problem is, that when I put the atmega chip back and upload the sketch the output in the serial monitor is not what is is supposed to be. It is:
"GPS parser

read:"
(without the quotes). And with other baud rates it is jibberish, which is because they are not the right baud rate.
So my question is, why doesn't it display the information it should display at the right baud rate (4800)?

adafruit_support_bill

the first output is not serial monitor
Is there any output on the serial monitor? If you are getting no output from the GPS module when directly connected to the computer, then it is unlikely that it would be talking to the Arduino.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

What module are you using, and where did you get it

wouter

Post by wouter »

I have the GPS Log Shield Kit v1.0 from adafruit. The Gps chip itself has this written on the package:
PART NO: EM-406A
Operating Voltage: 4.5 ~ 6.5VDC
Operating Current: 44mA
Ant. Port Type: None
Patch Antenna: Y
GPS Chipset: SiRF StarIII
Type: Connector
Header: Cable
PPS: Y(PIN#6)
And it is from Globalsat.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we've seen a lot of people with problems when they buy modules elsewhere, they may be RS232 not TTL modules

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”