Motor Sheild Problems

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TucanJim

Motor Sheild Problems

Post by TucanJim »

I am trying to run a new motor sheild using the Uno. I have successfuly powered servo motors but have not been able to get stepper motors to run. Using my multi meter to check for voltages across the terminal blocks shows that no voltage is reaching these terminals regardless of how I atempt to power the sheild. Is the Uno compatible with the sheild? Is it possible ive damaged the L239s some how.

thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Sheild Problems

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The sheild is compatible with the UNO. If you are using external power, is the polarity correct? Is the green LED lit?

If you post some photos of the front & back of the board we'll have a look for any assembly issues.

TucanJim

Post by TucanJim »

This is the front and back of the motor shield. the motor I am trying to use is a bipolar stepper from an old computer hard drive. If I apply voltage to its coils it will rotate a step or two and appears to reverse if I apply voltage to the other two wires so I assume its working... and yes, when I apply voltage to either the external power block or use the shunt for 5volts from the Uno board the green LED lights up.
Sorry for the picture size. I dont know an easy way to edit that and thought the detail it provides would help diagnos any assemply problems.

Ive used most all the demo sketches I have seen on-line and paid attention to which set of power blocks I was using with no success.

The lighting and shadowing seems to make the soldering look a little sloppy. its actually pretty clean if you were to use good lighting to view it.
thanks!
DSC01884.JPG
DSC01884.JPG (579.2 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
DSC01883.JPG
DSC01883.JPG (554.13 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What sketch are you running when you test the voltage on the output terminals? When driving a stepper motor, the voltage will be an alternating (the wave shape will depend on what step mode you are using). If your meter is in DC mode, it may look like 0 volts.

It will be easier to verify this with a regular motor sketch. At full throttle, the output voltage should be about 1.2 volts lower than your supply voltage.
Try running this sketch and measure the output voltage on M4:

Code: Select all

#include <AFMotor.h>

AF_DCMotor motor(4);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);           // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
  Serial.println("Motor test!");

// turn on motor
  motor.setSpeed(255);

motor.run(FORWARD);
}

void loop() 
{

}

TucanJim

Post by TucanJim »

I tried running that script but had several errors when I tried to compile it. I suspect that although I have the library downloaded onto my coputer its not in a place or form that can be used.

Im a CPA and im knee deep in taxes and havent had much time. As soon as I get a chance ill copy the compiler error messages.

I appreciate your help. Maybe I should just stick to accounting, tax and audits.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”