Motor Shield to contol an Electromagnet?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
svartbjorn

Motor Shield to contol an Electromagnet?

Post by svartbjorn »

My son wants to levitate a magnet using an Arduino and an electromagnet. We have put together a kit but it amounts to a black box with no real "science" (yeah it's a Science fair).
We have found some things that skech out what to do but nothing that really specifies the parts. What i am left with is finding a way to control power of an electromagnet from 7-12 VDC. The Arduino would need something much like what the Motor shield has but I was wondering if there is something about how the motors are controlled that would make it a bad choice to use them to control an Electromagnet.
In general i need PWM, a MOSFET Transistor and an H Bridge. It seems like the motor shield would provide that but since I am a real beginner, i am just not sure that I am overlooking something.
(BTW, I did buy the shield already since I'm sure we will be motorizing something someday.
This may be one instance where 9V is enough to do the job if I am right.

Thanks in advance for any advice

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Shield to contol an Electromagnet?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The motor sheild has 4 H-Bridges on it. You should be able to control your magnet- just define it as a motor as in the example code and use the 'setSpeed()" to control power to the electromagnet.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”