help for to choose the right motor

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cedric

help for to choose the right motor

Post by cedric »

Hello,

I will get my first arduino in 2 days, and I am looking for the right motor to be able to control the movement and precise position of the arm of a turntable (to put precisely the needle on the right track of LP)

Thanks to give me any hints on this.

Cedric

adafruit_support_bill

Re: help for to choose the right motor

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A servo would be a good choice. These are easy to drive from the Arduino using the Servo library included in the Arduino IDE. A standard servo should have sufficient torque to move a tonearm to select a track. You would need a second one to lift it.

cedric

Post by cedric »

Thank you.
Would I need to purchase any other element than 2 servos to make it work with the Arduino
Which power supply Do I need?
Thanks again.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You don't need anything special to connect them other than some wire. A couple of servo extender cables and some header pins will make for a neater job of it. My favorite solution is to build some servo headers onto a proto-shield. But that might be overkill for just two servos.

Although you can run a servo from the Arduino 5v supply, it is generally a good idea to power them with a separate power supply - especially if you have more than one servo. Anything in the 5-6v DC range will work. If you are going to be moving both servos simultaneously,you will probably want something rated at least 1A (1000mA). The 5v-2A supply in the store would be more than adequate.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”