GPS Module/Globalsat BU-353 Cheaper..!

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wayneft

Re: GPS Module/Globalsat BU-353 Cheaper..!

Post by wayneft »

what about connecting the GPS output data to an FT232R, then from there to the uC uart..?
I'm no USB expert but from what I understand that won't work. I'm sure I'm going to mess up some of the terminology here but the FT232 is used to convert USB from a host controller (computer) to UART level. I don't believe the USB signals from the GPS are coming from a USB host controller. In other words converting a USB signal from a USB device to UART is not as easy as converting the USB signal from your computer to UART.

What you could try to do is probe around on the GPS and see if any of the test pads that I can see are actually UART level signals and use those instead.

Alti

Post by Alti »

Yeah, the Ftdi works in tandem with the pc, it's not just a smart signal converter.anyway nothing ventured nothin gained. I came across a few old posts on various gps forums with the same scenario. It would have been a nice hack to get this working, but it's been locked down by the Module firmware, like some of the newer Pics it has onboard USB as well. I have read several data sheets & manuals back to back so at least I have good grasp of the sirfdemo s/w now..!

Just bought a 'verified' em-406a, so I'll say thanks and adieu.

didier

Post by didier »

@Aldi
What do you mean by "Actually it has UART but for u/l only to the CPU on the module only." ? u/l what ?
BTW: Thanks for the good information

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”