Any differences between ProtoShields?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dimitri

Any differences between ProtoShields?

Post by dimitri »

Hey there,

Just getting started in all this and was wondering if there are any major differences I should be aware of between the Adafruit ProtoShield and the "official" Arduino Protoshield. I only ask because I will be following the projects in Maik Schmidt's Quick Start Guide book.

Thanks
Dimitri

adafruit

Re: Any differences between ProtoShields?

Post by adafruit »

they're pretty much all the same, work the same and fit the same :)

dimitri

Post by dimitri »

Awesome... thanks for the quick reply!

thoughtfix

Post by thoughtfix »

I've used Adafruit shields and the Maker Shield on makershed. Warning about the Maker shield: The potentiometer is handy but too tall to stack under other shields without a riser.

The Adafruit proto shield, in it's default build and HOWTO, does not stack. One thing you may consider is to use stackable headers in place of the included pins and headers: http://www.adafruit.com/products/85

That way you can use your Adafruit shield in between, say, your Arduino and your Motor shield. Make sure to triple-check pin assignments!

dimitri

Post by dimitri »

thoughtfix wrote:I've used Adafruit shields and the Maker Shield on makershed. Warning about the Maker shield: The potentiometer is handy but too tall to stack under other shields without a riser.

The Adafruit proto shield, in it's default build and HOWTO, does not stack. One thing you may consider is to use stackable headers in place of the included pins and headers: http://www.adafruit.com/products/85

That way you can use your Adafruit shield in between, say, your Arduino and your Motor shield. Make sure to triple-check pin assignments!
That's a really great suggestion... thanks TF! :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”