2.8" TFT

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
phase2tony

2.8" TFT

Post by phase2tony »

I ordered a 2.8" TFT. It arrived, packaged real well in a nice box. Work commitments have meant I've not had time to check it out for over a month! Now I have time.

So, I was following the tutorial: http://www.ladyada.net/products/tfttouchbreakout/

I soldered the long header strip, I stepped through the tutorial. I get the backlight displaying okay. I connected the wires correctly (triple and quadruple re-checked) to the arduino Duemilanove 328.

I copied the library (exactly as stated, renaming the folder) into arduino22. I loaded the 'graphicstest' example, I verified it. I uploaded (success). I disconnected the USB cable and reconnected. I opened Serial Monitor and I get the following:

8 Bit LCD test!
Unknown driver chip 9300

I checked this forum and found a few references (none relevant for me), I re-read the tutorial that suggests D8 and D0 might be incorrectly setup. I verified they are not. So what confuses me is the '00' in the above message.

Any thoughts? I'd love to get this TFT working as I had some great ideas for it.

thanks

tony

adafruit

Re: 2.8" TFT

Post by adafruit »

something is wired up wrong, but its not clear exactly what. triple check your wiring for all pins, post a photo -after- you're positive you have the right wiring

phase2tony

Post by phase2tony »

I'm positive the wiring is right. (I'd like it to be that simple an error!)

I've taken 3 shots to give the angles of all the wiring. I cannot see what is at fault? any indication of why I would get a '9300' returned? is the '00' related to a certain set of pins?
image1
image1
IMAG1064_small.jpg (499.13 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
image2
image2
IMAG1065_small.jpg (511.18 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
image3
image3
IMAG1066_small.jpg (506.46 KiB) Viewed 1698 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we do test all displays twice so its very unlikely its the display. check your soldering, could be a cold solder joint, a loose wire, etc

phase2tony

Post by phase2tony »

Hi adafruit,

That's what I was thinking, so I un-soldered and resoldered the header strip. I placed a prototype shield on top of the arduino (just to verify the wire connections were okay). I get the same result. :-(
image1
image1
IMAG1067_small.jpg (572.84 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
Upon turning the display over though I noticed that R4 resistor was a little oddly soldered onto the display - could that have any impact?
image2
image2
IMAG1069_small.jpg (626.84 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
For the cost of the display ($40)+UK customs fees(£15), it was a cheap-ish display - I just don't like binning hardware :shock:
(It's far too much hassle to send the display back to the US from the UK and attempt to get another one sent - it's a pain as I wanted to have a TFT touchscreen display panel fitted to the dashboard in my hot rod :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

r4 is for the backlight, your backlight is fine so thats not it.
however we just remembered that the latest commits of the library had the shield pinout activated

edit TFTLCD.h in the library and comment out

// comment or uncomment the next line for special pinout!
//#define USE_ADAFRUIT_SHIELD_PINOUT

to match above then try TFTpaint.pde

phase2tony

Post by phase2tony »

SUPERB!!!!! Thank you - thank you - thank you! (See I knew it wasn't damaged in transit and my wiring / soldering way okay :lol: )
image1
image1
IMAG1072_small.jpg (458.11 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
Really appreciate your help, without it I would have incorrectly have binned the hardware. As it is, it will now have a much valued use of letting me control multiple items in my car via the touchscreen!

:mrgreen:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks for being patient. it was our forgetfulness and your bad luck :)
we will update the tutorial page to make sure that customers dont have the same problem

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”