GPS Logging Shield Not Logging

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jsluke

GPS Logging Shield Not Logging

Post by jsluke »

I have now built 3 GPS loggers using the logging shield and 2 work perfectly.

I have a problem with the 3rd.

1. I have tested the GPS with the Arduino chip removed and the wiring configured to stream the serial data straight into my laptop through the USB cable (as detailed in the test instructions). The GPS is streaming valid data.
2. I then wired the unit up to log data (i.e. put the chip back in the board and re-wired the GPS output). When monitoring the serial port I get the output text =>

GPSlogger
Writing to GPSLOG23.TXT
Ready!

3. Log files are created on the SD Card but are empty.
4. No further data is streamed to the serial port and nothing is written to the SD Card.
5. The LEDs do not blink to indicate data being written to the card or a valid GPS fix.

The code is the standard logger script and does include the test to see if gpsSerial.available(). Having tested my GPS through the serial port I have to assume it is available.

Any suggestions on where I should look to identify the fault?

Thanks.

James.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: GPS Logging Shield Not Logging

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You could add additional serial output statements to see if it is getting anything from the GPS.
Of you post photos of the front & back of the board we'll have a look for any assembly issues.

jsluke

Re: GPS Logging Shield Not Logging

Post by jsluke »

Many thanks - I traced the problem to a wiring fault on one of my additional sensors. The program was hanging waiting for the sensor to respond.

Thanks again.

James.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”