Wave Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
clarkatron

Wave Shield

Post by clarkatron »

Hello,

I am looking to output sound using the DAC and op-amp on the wave shield. I do not necessarily want to use the SD card as it will not initialize correctly (I have tried 6 different cards at this point). Is there a tone() function for this board or will that function work on the wave shield as it does with the regular Arduino?

I am using Uno v 0022 and Wave Shield v 1.1.

Any help given would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping it is just a situation of assigning a frequency to something and then it outputs sound. I know it was built for greater things but I just wanted it for the DAC and for the Op-Amp and then as I learn more and more I may get back to the SD card (despite how finicky they have been).

ps are the pin settings different for SPI than for normal Arduino? They seem tied to 2,3,4,5 as opposed to 10,11,12,13.

Thanks,

Chris

adafruit

Re: Wave Shield

Post by adafruit »

collin cunningham did something like this but nobody else has that we know of. you can google to try and find it

gsharpe

Post by gsharpe »

Hi,
I just built the wave shield for my Arduino Uno (with an ATMEGA328) and, as far as the SD card, just make sure you format it as FAT16 (just FAT) and not FAT32. I used my PC to reformat a 1Gig SD card to FAT, loaded some of the sample WAV files (the PI example), and it worked. I did notice a bug in that example where it was sometimes not closing one file before attempting to open another. This will at least allow you to make sure it works. If I find anything like a tone function in the library, I'll let you know since its new to me as well.

Grady

hardada

Post by hardada »

Maybe I am mis reading your post, but sounds are possible on Arduino without needingthe wave shield, see tutorial http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Tone3
Play any note, the function is called tone......... also could use PWM, or DDS

If using the SDcard and the DAC simply record the sound on the SD using Audacity etc.or several sounds and play the one you want for any event ??

The problem I have is there is a slight click between the sounds if the sound is a soft tone, sinewave etc. I was wondering if any way of eliminating it or do others get or is it my setup. I am just using the standard Arduino Uno 328 with the waveshield
Thanks

hardada

Post by hardada »

If you only want to use only the DAC and output amp then the DAC serial is pins 2,3,4,5
Then need a program to generate DDS tone and output on these pins serially
The pins 11,12,13 used for the SDcard SPI would not be porgrammed

Schematic for wave shield on this forum, link below or search schematic v1.1
http://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtopi ... 01&start=0

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”