Motor shield+stepper problem

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor shield+stepper problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

OK then. The upload request is making it to the UNO, but it is not responding. There are a couple of things it could be:

1) Check again that you have the right board type selected (you'd be amazed how often this is the case).
2) Not sure what OS you are using, but there was a timing issue with some versions of Linux and Macs. There were some revisions to the booloader to remedy this. You might also be able to get it to work by pressing reset just as the upload starts.
3) I think there was also a linux timing problem that occurred if there was a sketch loaded that was doing serial output (you say that the Tx is flashing). I believe that the solutions were similar to the previous issue.
4) You may have a toasted Atmega. You could try re-loading the bootloader.

If you have access to another Arduino, you might check to see if you can communicate with that.

BlinkySauce

Post by BlinkySauce »

Thanks for your help so far. I looked around other forums and was able to upload an example sketch by switching from UNO to Nano, Duemilanove ATmega328. My board is an UNO but the other forum said there might be some bugs. Anyway it worked and I can try to see if it will work with the motor shield connected.

adafruit_support_bill

and was able to upload an example sketch by switching from UNO to Nano, Duemilanove ATmega328.
So your UNO must have had a Duemilanove compatible bootloader uploaded to it at some point. That is fine, except that it ceases to be an UNO and becomes a Duemilanove as far as the IDE is concerned. I usually stick a label on mine if I change the bootloader. Saves a lot of frustration later on. :)

BlinkySauce

Post by BlinkySauce »

Ok so with the motor shield plugged in the Blink example causes the Arduino to blink. I haven't gotten the stepper motor to turn using any of the examples. I have 200 for steps in a revolution since it's 1.8 degrees per step. I have the port set to 2 since I'm using M3 and M4 [M3 red A blue B][Ground black and white together] [M4 A- yellow B- orange ]

PIN1 / RED = A
PIN2 / BLUE= B
PIN3 / YL = A-
PIN4 / ORG = B-
PIN5 / WHT = COMMON
PIN6 / BLK = COMMON

Are there any premade sketches which would work with this in theory? Do I have the wires in the correct terminals? Thanks, sorry for so many questions. I had no idea getting a motor to turn would be this involved. I just want to get this thing to spin by any means necessary. Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Great! So you can upload sketches now.
PIN1 / RED = A
PIN2 / BLUE= B
PIN3 / YL = A-
PIN4 / ORG = B-
PIN5 / WHT = COMMON
PIN6 / BLK = COMMON
I don't know what motor you are using. What are the specs? Are you sure of the pinouts? What does the motor do when you try to run it?

BlinkySauce

Post by BlinkySauce »

piggybacked SN754410's with heatsink.
24v 1.5A power supply connected to the external power supply terminals. LED's light up on the Arduino and the motor shield.

The pin numbers on this ebay listing I found are different but the Red = A Blue = B ect is the same. Mine is 0841 I couldn't find 0841 on Sanyo's website but other 103H5208's had the same wire colors in 6 wire configurations and had the same polarities. Nothing happens when I run the example sketches, I'm not sure how to write my own basic sketch. I just want the motor to turn at a certain speed for a certain number of revolutions then go back the same amount in reverse so I can repeat.

CNC ROUTER ROBOT REPRAP MAKERBOT
These are nice 6 wire 1.8 degree stepper motors.
Type 103H5208-0842 or -1241 or -0841

NEMA 17
Sanyo Denki

STEPPER MOTOR, 1.8 deg 200 steps/rev when full-stepping

PIN5 / RED = A
PIN3 / BLUE= B
PIN4 / YL = A-
PIN2 / ORG = B-
PIN1 / WHT = COMMON
PIN6 / BLK = COMMON

Description
1.6 or 2.0 ohm motors
Current per Phase: 1.2A unipolar 1A bipolar
External Depth: 39mm
External Length / Height: 42mm
External Width: 42mm
Frame Size: 17
Holding Torque: unipolar 42.48 oz/inch (0.3N-m) bipolar 55.23 oz/inch (.39N-m)

adafruit_support_bill

Nothing happens when I run the example sketches
Nothing at all? No buzz or hum or other signs of life from the motor?

Run the "MotorTest" example and measure the voltage on the motor terminals for M4. It should alternate between + and - of whatever your motor supply voltage is.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”